Skip to main content

RESTAURANT: A.O.C.


A.O.C Restaurant, originally uploaded by ktglick.


I'm going to let you in on my secret. It's one of those things that I don't really want everyone to get clued in on. It's that good.

My secret is the cheese bar at A.O.C. I have been seated at a normal table at A.O.C. for a fabulous date-night dinner and I have sat at the cheese bar at A.O.C. for a fun and friendly and equally fabulous dining experience. I don't think I ever want to sit anywhere but the cheese bar again. The trick is getting a seat there. They don't take reservations for it, and there are only eight spots available so the trick is really just to get there at the right time. If you're me, that means you get there right when the restaurant opens to assure yourself that coveted spot.


Why is it so much better sitting there? Well, first of all you get to watch the person that I must call the charcutier et fromagier. I don't know what else to call her. She slices the meat and makes the cheese and charcuterie and other cold small plates. It's hypnotic. There is also the fact that it really is its own little cozy area. It feels like you're eating with your own secret club. And it comes with its own special server, Nick. He is cute and friendly and is spot on with the suggestions for wine and cheese or anything ...

We start with a five-cheese plate. We pick one each person, and then opt for a suggestion by Nick. I always like to combine choices based on knowledge and experience, choices based on my "vibe" from the menu, and suggestions from the server. I find that I have a special sort of empathy with menus and wine lists and the vibes that I receive just from looking at the listings are almost always right. But then again, suggestions from the server have just as high a success rate and sometimes you will be made privy to secret off-menu items as we were with our selection of sheep cheese.

The cheeses were excellent and I am happy to report that the menu did not steer me wrong by vibing me towards the Doddington. It was fantastic, somewhere between a chedder and a gouda. We also had to order some fresh sliced prosciutto after watching mounds of it roll off of the meat slicer.

We then proceeded to go crazy on the menu, ordering a market lettuce salad with a fantastic keffir lime dressing (creamy and uber-tart, and perfect lettuce-dressing ratio!); morels with ramps, mascarpone and polenta (my favorite thing on the menu, it is super-rich, almost like macaroni and cheese, but sans macaroni); some kind of bacon-wrapped salmon (I swear!), which I didn't eat, but I did try a bite of the bacon, which was thick and meaty; a steak with buerre blanc that looked amazing, although I didn't try it; steamed fingerlings with creme fraiche, which I could have eaten two more bowls of and eaten with the bite of bacon was like a platonically ideal version of a baked potato; and cauliflower with curry and red vinegar which is how cauliflower should be made 50% of the time (and should be roasted with olive oil, garlic and bread crumbs the other 50%)--the only other curry I have had that tastes as fresh as the curry on those cauliflowers is the curry my friend Mike makes from ingredients straight out of his parents' back yard, so ...

For dessert we had a honey banana parfait with sea salt and toffee bits and some kind of sinful-delicious chocolate cake. I'm ashamed to say that after all the wine that came with dinner, my initial reaction to being asked if I wanted to share the parfait was "No way, bi-otch, I want my own!" I treasure the delicate balance between sweet and savory just that much. But once I heard there was going to be chocolate cake involved as well, I became much more eager to give up some of the goods.

I can only remember the wines vaguely ... there was a pinot noir rose to start; then an Oregon Pinot Blanc (or Pinot Gris?) A to Z; then a red wine (Aglianico del Vulture?) ... I know it was something about a vulture; and finally a Flowers pinot noir. I'm no master of wine, so I'm not so good at describing wines, but the A to Z had such a honey component that it really actually tasted like someone had put honey in the wine. It's one of the first times that I've been able to definitively taste a flavor described to me in a wine. The Vulture was more herbal and the Flowers was incredibly fruity and mellow, tasting more like apricots and citrus (that's unofficial, I am by no means trained to tell you the flavors in a wine, and you must know that this is the same person who got a whiff of the nose of the Vulture and pronounced to have notes of "feet," so ... take caution).


A.O.C.
8022 W. Third St. (Crescent Heights Blvd.)
Los Angeles, CA 90048
323-653-6359

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta