Skip to main content

RESTAURANT: Mazzarino's Italian


Being an attorney I generally spend my lunch hour one of three ways: (1) hunched over my home brought lunch before my computer, trying desperately not to spill sauce or salad dressing or what-have-you all over my keyboard or the files; (2) running to the Whole Foods or gas station to purchase whatever I can eat quickly and cleanly, yet still healthily, while racking up yet another billable hour (like now: fruit salad perched on my desk, bag o' pretzels propped up by my foot, and bag of almonds on my side table; WordPerfect open ready to draft letter); or (3) running to the taco stand to get tacos/taquitos/quesadilla to chow down in a few minutes while I take a little break and look at the internet. Not very relaxing, not all that fun.

But then there are some days when I've had enough. Generally I have been through a stressful couple of days, and suddenly there is a lull. My boss is out of the office. And I almost always have an enormous headache on these days. On these days, I need a sit down lunch. On these days I need a lunch that is substantial and not so much healthy. I could go to Hugo's, it is sit-down, it IS healthy, but still substantial. It is a LONG wait. It is the only place around here for Hollywood types to go and get their vegetarian/vegan on and it's always packed.

So I walk right by and pop right into your grandpa's Italian place, Mazzarino's. It has everything I need. It is dark and soothing to sore heads. It looks exactly as this type of Italian place should look, with red and white tablecloths and plastic baskets of garlic bread (super good garlic bread loaded with parmesan cheese) and just one waiter who is super nice and knows pretty much everyone who comes in to eat, and on busman who is always prompt with drinks and bread and will bring you pretty much anything you ask for, even if you probably really shouldn't get it for free (like a whole extra french roll so you can take home your giant hot beef sandwich and make yourself a whole new sandwich tomorrow).

You get lots of food here. First, the supply of garlic bread is endless. The lunch specials come with all kinds of extra stuff. I believe that eggplant parmigiana is one of their specialties, but eggplant is a tecture problem for me so I haven't tried it. I have tried:

Slice of pizza, salad, and soda lunch special ($5.50). This is what I get most often because it's the perfect size of meal and very economical. The salad is just what you'd expect--iceberg lettuce, choice of dressing, a couple of cherry tomatoes and some carrot shreds. It's just enough to give you the illusion of healthfulness to offset the pizza. The pizza is always fresh with a crispy, thin crust. It has more cheese than tomato sauce which is the way I like it.

Hot beef sandwich. This is a lot of beef. It comes with your choice of sweet or spicy peppers and other than that it's just beef, beef juice, and bread. Unfortunately, the bread could not hold up to the sheer amount of beef and juice and was really soggy in parts, which is why I needed to take home a whole extra roll with me. I could barely eat half of the sandwich and even that was kind of too much beef. I would prefer less beef and less sog, for easier handling.

Lizzi's Heavenly sandwich. This is mozzarella, prosciutto, tomato and basil on a roll. They give you olive oil and balsamic vinegar to drizzle on to your taste as well. This sandwich was awesome. I don't like tomato, so I removed them, although I forced myself to eat half of them after taking them out of the sandwich so the waiter wouldn't come ask me about taking the tomatoes out. But the mozzarella was a thick slab of fluffy, fresh mozzarella, with only enough prosciutto to add a pleasant saltiness that wasn't overwhelming. The basil was kind of hard to eat because you kind of had to break the leaves with your teeth, but it was also fresh and flavorful. I think this is my favorite thing so far, but it's a big meal, so I would still stick with the pizza slice if I wasn't that hungry.

Most of the time they don't even bring me a bill, the waiter just tells me my total and trusts me to leave it on the table whenever I'm ready to go. And when I am, I always start the walk back to the office refreshed and my headache always disappears in the comforting dimness and filling food.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta