Skip to main content

NEWS: New Restaurants in my Neighborhood

A couple of new restaurants have opened up near my place that I am interested in trying sometime soon. Keep these in mind, friends, for next time we are going "ummmmmm ... where do you want to go?" "I don't know, where do you want to go?" Remind me to look at my blog and remember the following ideas:

Cube at Divine Pasta Co.:
Divine Pasta Co. on La Brea now also features "Cube," a casual cheese bar and cafe, open for lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday. The menu features a dazzling array of cheeses and charcuterie, as well as pasta dishes, pizzas, panini, and sides both small and more substantial. Cube is located on La Brea between Melrose and Clinton. There's also a newly remodeled gourmet shop that has over 800 products for your perusal. Don't be confused by the plethora of signs, just go in and eat.

Hatfield's:
Karen and Quinn Hatfield, formerly of Cortez in San Francisco, have headed down our way to try out the dining scene on Beverly Blvd. in the old Chine Wok space. Mr. is the chef, Mrs. is the pastry chef and manager. Hatfield's will be open for dinner Monday through Saturday. Hatfield's is on Beverly Blvd. between Gardner and Vista. The restaurant features contemporary French-California cuisine in a casually dressy atmosphere.

For those who like to know, the space is decorated in shades white and cream, accented by green suede upholstery and wood accents. There is a patio that wraps around and a small outdoor space in back. Reservations are required at this buzzworthy restaurant.

The restaurant features, in addition to its a la carte menu, a weekly three course market menu that is reasonably priced and a chef's tasting menu.

Right now, the market menu consists of: a butter lettuce and roasted beet salad with Rainier cherries, roasted shallot balsalmic vinaigrette, and manchego cheese; slow baked wild salmon with sauteed maitake mushrooms, and yellow corn with tomato vinaigrette; and a strawberry and cream shortcake with vanilla bay leaf ice cream. The price is $42. The chef's tasting menu is seven courses and is $72.

Tasca:
Tasca means "neighborhood place" in Spanish, and it looks like it has potential to be exactly that: a great little neighborhood place. Tasca is open for dinner nightly, and for brunch on weekends. The brunch looks quite intriguing, with dishes such as truffle egg toast, brie and mushroom fritatta, and butternut squash, sage and mascarpone risotto. We recently noticed that they were applying for a liquor license, which would put it over the edge to be a "must check out" place for me. They plan to have a wine bar featuring wines from California, Argentina and Chile. Until then, corkage is free! Tasca is located on 3rd Street at Crescent Heights.

The room is dark and flickering with little candles. That's the only impression I have received from my jaunts past it on the way to other 3rd street favorites. There are also some outside tables for these summer nights when sitting outside feels better than staying at home. The menu features Spanish tapas and European-style dishes for larger plates.


Comments

Anyanka said…
Tasca, in Barcelona, means "bar." My friend Tasca, who was named after the operatic heroine Tosca, loved that.

Now I wish I were going to Europe soon. Damn World Cup!
KT said…
Ha ha! Well, to me neighborhood place = bar. It's one and the same.

I guess, "tasca" in Spain must be the equivalent of the English "local." I loved having a "local" when I was living in London.

While Josh was there, Authentic Cafe was totally my "local." Now, not so much. It's way too expensive for a local. I need a new local!

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta