Skip to main content

RESTAURANT: Clementine


Brunch at Clementine, originally uploaded by ktglick.

For the past several months, I have been waking up sore. Now, I thought this was no big deal because for a while, I was exercising a lot and I thought it was just the effects of that. But then, recently, I took a break from the exercise as I transitioned from the old place to a new place and found that I was still waking up sore every day. What is this? I consulted with J. and learned that he too has been waking up sore and having a hard time sleeping. The culprit? Our 12 year old mattress. Looks like it's time to get a new one.


So yesterday, we bit the bullet and went to look at beds. Thankfully, J. did lots of research and narrowed us down to two stores, because here is the thing. I know this sounds wrong and weird and I know this is very shocking, but ... I hate shopping. Now, don't get me wrong, I love buyimg things, I just hate the process of determining what type of thing I am going to buy. There is just so very much walking involved, and decisionmaking, and then I always pick the one that I can't afford and I also find about 50 other things that I NEED desperately but didn't come to buy and also can't afford.

So in order to go shopping, I need sustenance. I need a meal that will provide me with energy because shopping exhausts me to no end. Eating for shopping for me, is like eating for a long hike, or a long-distance run.

So before we got to the bed stores, we stopped at Clementine. Clementine is one of those restaurants, like Joan's on Third, or M de Chaya, that is the kind of restaurant I always feel I would want to have, if I had my own. Seasonal, simple food cooked fresh and available either ready made to take away, or prepared for you and brought for eating at your table restaurant-style. Sort of like a gourmet deli. Everything at Clementine is homemade, including the granola, which is what I got. And this granola is made for sustenance. It has whole almonds in it, and comes with a whole mountain of colorful dried cranberries and apricots on top. With a bowl of that, and some grapefruit juice, I was ready to shop.

Clementine also has delicious baked goods, fresh sandwiches, soups and salads and a variety of takeaway meals for lunch or dinner. They can make up a picnic basket for you, or a breakfast box, or dessert box. They have curbside pickup, where you can order your food and they will bring it out to you so you do not even have to leave your car.

It seems difficult to get there right now because of Santa Monica Blvd. being under construction, but you can actually park right on Santa Monica now and go up the nearby walkway, cross over the dirt road, and you're there.

The food is really worth it. Whether you are going for a run, a grueling hike, or simply a bed-shopping marathon, the fresh, seasonal and hearty food will sustain you through the process.

Clementine
1751 Ensley Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90024-5328
(310) 552-1080
Cross Street: Santa Monica Boulevard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta