Skip to main content

RESTAURANT: McPhee's

For dinner on Saturday we stopped at McPhee's Grill in Templeton. Templeton still looks like an old west town. There's a main street that's lined with wooden buildings with wooden porches, and as you drive down it, you feel like you are on some movie set. It's like the Universal Studios old west stunt show set and so you kind of hope no dudes in ten gallon has come flying out of the saloon while you're in the vicinity.

McPhee's is, like most of the good restaurants in this area, a steak house. But it offers far more than just various cuts of beef and appetizers. The menu is modern, eclectic and sophisticated and offers a wide variety of choices even for those who are not beef lovers.



We were given plates of pickled things to start out with, along with a basket filled with several varieties of bread. I don't know what it is about this pickled plate ... it only seems to be served at steak restaurants on the Central Coast. This kind of a starter always makes me feel at home.

The bread was delicious and homemade . Especially good was a cheese bread that you had to be lucky to get. It was like a hidden treasure.



J. and I shared the oak grilled California artichoke with chipotle chile lime mayonnaise. The mayo was SPICY, but this overwhelmed the lime, which I would have liked to taste a bit. The artichoke was really meaty. Very delicious.



My dad got the Mexican tortilla soup with chile lime crema. I don't know how it tasted, but it was gorgeous .



My dad also ordered a special: a 16 oz. chop. Another couple at the table ordered this to share, but not my dad. Nope. This is a pound of meat, y'all. Just sitting on your plate. All for you. I think he ate it all too, but after tasting 5500 wines during the afternoon and two glasses of Flowers pinot noir later, I actually don't recall the end of dinner.



This was my meal: goat cheese and basil stuffed chicken breast with fresh herb pan sauce and garlic mashed potatoes. The basil goat cheese wasn't so much stuffed into the chicken as sort of "in and around the chicken." You can kind of see it in the picture. It's the green blob under the red pepper. But it was good. The chicken was crisp on the outside, juicy inside and the mashed potatoes were good. I was glad they didn't give too large a serving or I just would have kept eating them. The sugar snap peas on the side were great. You can see how fresh they are and they were crispy and not drenched in anything, just tasting of themselves. I think they must have been steamed.

Our server was uber-friendly, as was the host. My only service problem was the bartender. He assumed I was under 21, which is fine ... I look young, but because he did so, he also completely ignored me while taking the order of everyone around me. I finally had to ask for water, even though everyone else was asked what they wanted. I was pretty annoyed by that, because if I'm sitting at the bar, there's a good chance I'm 21 and you're perfectly welcome to ask for my ID if you think I'm not. Also, even if I'm not 21, perhaps I still want SOMETHING to drink. It's only 100 degrees outside.

Other than that ... highly recommended.
McPhee's Grill
416 S. Main St.
Templeton, CA

Comments

Anyanka said…
Um, you're doing this...RIGHT???
KT said…
If I can think of something to say, I am all over it!
Jeremy said…
tortilla soup is one of God's gifts to mankind.
Anyanka said…
Do it!! Perhaps to not like TOMATOES is a confession a foodie would be loath to make?

Also...someday when you're an old lady like me, you'll be flattered that they think you're under 21. Sort of. Maybe. Ah, not really.

Mmmmm, just had the delicious Los Vascos reserve. I wonder if there is more? I think that is one of my favorite wines now.
KT said…
Jer: I love a big bowl of spicy. Tortilla soup is one of my favorites, but wait until you see what I ate for brunch when I get there. It's amazing.

Anyanka: I was thinking about writing about all the awful food I ate as a kid as my "confession." There is no way I should even be a foodie based on my upbringing of processed foods, junk food, plain everything with everything on the side ... etc.

I love when people think I am under 21, I just do not love being ignored. It was a million degrees outside, I've been tramping around the wilderness, at least offer me a water!

PS: We have wine and cheese for Friday b4 partying if you want!
Anyanka said…
I like that confession idea. Do it! And wine and cheese sounds good...we may our friend Barry with us, though. Depending.
KT said…
Okay, I'll try. My head hurts today ... maybe this weekend. Bring Barry over, if he's with you. It's cool! I'm going to try to make cookies tonight. :)

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta