Skip to main content

RECIPE: Deconstructed Pesto Pasta

In about two weeks, I finally get to take my coveted vacation. I am going to Cinque Terre, Italy for about a week, and then to Tuebingen, Germany for a wedding. I am so excited to go to Cinque Terre. I have always wanted to go there. Cinque Terre is a series of five villages along the cliffside oceans of Northwestern Italy, in the region of Liguria.

After walking around for about six months with permanent stress ... I am looking forward to sitting down with my first glass of wine, looking around at the colorful buildings and crashing waves, taking a big breath and feeling my muscles all simultaneously relax. I plan to eat a lot and not feel guilty because I will be hiking from village to village.

One of the specialties of the region is pesto, which I am looking forward to consuming a lot of. In order to prepare myself for eating lots of pesto, I prepared this deconstructed pesto pasta recipe from the June/July issue of Fine Cooking.

This is actually my favorite kind of pasta: pasta with no sauce, just various ingredients that make it delicious. It is, of course, a completely different experience from eating pasta with pesto sauce. Each flavor is separated out and in an at least somewhat whole state, rather than all ground up together. The basil is more fragrant and the pine nuts give an added crunch. I found this to be completely delicious and would make it again, but the preparation is time consuming, and you can't make a bunch and save it in a jar like pesto sauce. So I think I would be more likely to go with traditional pesto on a regular basis.

INGREDIENTS:

Kosher salt
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 lb. fusilli pasta
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 cloves worth minced garlic
Black pepper
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano
2 cups sweet basil cut into thin strips

1. Boil salted water in a large pot.

2. While waiting for water to boil, toast pine nuts in a 10 inch skillet over medium-low heat until golden brown in places, then set aside to cool.

3. When water is boiling, cook pasta according to package instructions.

4. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil and garlic in the skillet until the garlic begins to brown.

5. When pasta is done reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and drain the rest, then return pasta to the pot and toss with olive oil and garlic. Then pour the reserved water in and toss again. Finally, add pine nuts and almost all of the cheese, tossing again. Save some cheese for sprinkling on top at the end.

6. Transfer pasta to serving bowl and let cool for a few minutes. Just before serving, toss in basil and then sprinkle the extra cheese on top to make it pretty.

Comments

Anyanka said…
be sure to take lots of pictures of the lovely food in Italy...not sure about Tubingen, though.
KT said…
Definitely!

Here is the description of the place we are staying in Tubingen: "It is an old stone place in the old town section and looks out over the river and the rooftops of the town ... you can walk from there all around the interesting part of Tubingen on the cobblestone small winding streets and see all the quaint parts of the town."

So at least we will be in the interesting part!
Rachael Narins said…
Cinque Terre is the BEST. Make sure to get some Limoncello while you are there too. Oh and the pesto? They sell it by weight (grams?). CUTE! (And delicious)
Enjoy your trip!
KT said…
I cannot WAIT. My husband just made some homemade limoncello, so I'll have to compare his with the real deal.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta