Skip to main content

RECIPE: Spicy Avocado Sandwich + Chilled Avocado Soup


Avocado Soup/"Guacamole Suave"



Spiced Avocado Sandwich

Summer is a great time for avocados, because there are so many refreshing dishes you can make with them ... last week I made a couple of avocado recipes.

The first was a sandwich. The original recipe was for a pita sandwich, but I prefer a nice thick slice of artisan bread. I can't help it! I am Western European! So I made the avocado filling part of the sandwich and then slathered it on a rustic country roll and slapped some shredded carrots and alfalfa sprouts on there to make me feel super healthy and veggie. Alfalfa sprouts always make me feel like I am eating something healthy! The sandwich turned out really good. The avocado mix was not too spicy, just enough for flavor. It held up well too ... I made an extra sandwich, wrapped it in wax paper and ate it for lunch the next day and it was still just as delicious as the day before.

The avocado soup turned out a little strange. See, I forgot that the recipe called for one avocado that was especially for dicing and using as a garnish. I used all of the avocados in the soup. Also, I could not find buttermilk, so I made ghetto buttermilk by putting lemon juice in warm milk and letting it sit until curdled. This may have made the overall recipe more citrussy, and contributed to the overall effect. But basically, instead of a soup, what I got was a more smooth and creamy guacamole. I took one bite and immediately found it necessary to get tortilla chips. A little cilantro and it would have been golden. I call it "guacamole suave." There's no reason to ever, ever make this. Guacamole is perfect the way it is. It reminded me of the way a 1950s housewife would make guacamole for a "fiesta" style dinner party. It wasn't bad at all, it was a perfectly adequate dip. It was not a good soup.

The sandwich recipe is adapted from a recipe in the Eat Well column of Martha Stewart's Body + Soul magazine. The soup recipe is also from the same column, not adapted. Well, at least, I didn't mean to adapt it.

SPICED AVOCADO SANDWICH

1. Halve and pit 1 avocado. Scoop out the flesh, cut into chunks and put in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice, 1/2 to 1 tsp. green pepper Tabasco, and 1/4 tsp. coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Mix gently to combine.

2. Spread 1/2 mixture onto 1 thick slice of whole wheat bread and add alfalfa sprouts (as much as you want) and 1/4 cup shredded carrots. Put the another slice of whole wheat bread on top. Repeat to make another sandwich. Voila!

CHILLED AVOCADO SOUP

* 3 ripe avocados
* 2 cups lowfat buttermilk
* 1/3 cup walnut halves
* 1/3 cup fresh dill sprigs + more for garnish
* 1/3 cup diced red onion (1/2 small onion)
* 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
* 1 tsp. coarse salt

1. Halve and pit TWO of the avocados. With a spoon, scoop out flesh and transfer to a blender. Add buttermilk, walnuts, dill, red onion, vinegar, salt and 1 cup of water and puree until smooth.

2. Cover blender and refrigerate until soup is well-chilled, at least one hour. Halve and pit remaining avocado. Cut into four sections lengthwise, and then cut crosswise into 1/2 inch chunks. Divide soup among four bowls and garnish with diced avocado and dill.

Comments

Jeremy said…
"ghetto buttermilk"

that's awesome.

Someone should come up with an all-substitute cookbook
KT said…
Whoa ... I totally need that ... or at least I need something like a "food thesaurus" so that when I don't have something I could look up and see what things I could replace it with.

Now I just have to make it up, and sometimes that doesn't turn out so well.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

RECIPE: Serious Eats' Foolproof Pan Pizza

It was love at first sight ... the second I saw J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Foolproof Pan Pizza recipe ,I was twitterpated. I was definitely going to try to make this and see if it was really proof against this fool. Overall, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but when it comes to trying out new recipes, usually if there's a way I can totally mess it up, I will. Even if I get the actual process right, chances are I'll do something like try to check if the bottom's cooked while the pie is still in the pan and dump the pie all over the kitchen. :( (True story). Well, happy to say Mr. L-A has done it again. You could do worse than compile all his recipes and just use them as your cookbook. He takes a thorough and scientific approach to cooking but also has a way of translating it all for the casual home cook. The recipe was seriously easy - there is a lot of waiting time but very little active effort to expend. It's pretty much just mix the dough, let it rise, mak

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a