Skip to main content

INFO: Jam 101

Photo by: Torsten Mangner


Right now it is the end of summer, when you start to look at all of the abundant fruits at the farmer's market and go "Hmm ... all of this will be gone soon. If only there were some way to preserve some so that I can enjoy it's wonderful deliciousness in the winter." But there is! There are several methods of preserving summer fruits and vegetables for the winter. One of them is to make jam.

In addition, Sugar High Friday #22 is all about jam, so I think it's time to try my hand at making jam.

I have only made jam once before. One summer when I was home for college, my friend Karen invited me over to pick berries with her and then make jam. It was completely fun. We picked the berries, and then she told me what to do and I followed her directions and at the end we had these jars of jam. It was like magic to me, who previously had only experienced jam as something that appeared on my sandwiches and didn't think it was something that "real" people just made in their kitchens. I was wrong. I was pricked and sticky and stained but I was also really proud of myself because I was taking home something that I had made myself. That doesn't happen too often when your life is mostly about studying.

Before I attempt to make jam, I thought I'd study up a little first. This isn't a process I think you can just start going down a recipe blindly and be successful. So I turned to where I generally turn in these situations: The American Woman's Cookbook, circa 1945 or so. This book is awesome, because it tells you how to do everything. It's basically a complete course in the food and nutrition part of home economics. It is also the first thing I will grab in a giant emergency because it contains instructions on cooking such things as pigeons and squirrels, including how to dress and skin them and so as long as I find someone who's a good shot, I figure I can survive when society has completely broken down and we're all wild and what-not. In any case, the book also contains a chapter on preserving methods of all types and I read up on the making of jam and learned the following things:

Jam is a preserve made by either mashing up fruit or cooking it with sugar. Jam should feel "soft, tender and jellylike," and look "bright and sparkling." The texture and color should be consistent throughout the mixture. Jam is different from jelly because jam is made from both the juice and the flesh of the fruit, while jelly is made from the juice only (plus some other things).

A portion of the fruit used should be underripe, because underripe fruit contains pectin, which gels the jam and is necessary for it to be good. In order to develop this pectin substance, the fruit should be allowed to cook for a few minutes before the sugar is added. If the fruit itself does not have sufficient juice, add enough water to keep it from burning and cook it in a covered kettle.

When you add the sugar, make sure not to add too much. You should use no more than 3/4 lb. sugar to each pound of fruit. After the sugar has been added to the fruit cook it quickly until the fruit starts to look like jelly. To test, dip a spoon in it. It should hang in sheets from the spoon or should set quickly if dropped on a cool plate. The fruit should now be tender, not thick and tough. Remember that the jam will thicken on cooling so allow for that and don't overcook it. Overcooking will darken the jam.

It's better if you can make a small amount of jam at a time and try to use porcelain or ceramic cooking utensils. Make sure to keep stirring from the bottom using a wooden spoon so that the jam does not burn. Lift the mass from the bottom. Although it is a pain to have to stand and watch for 20-30 minutes while cooking quickly, it will turn out better than if you let it simmer for hours and hours.

Once it's done, seal quickly in a hot, clean jar to keep it safe from mold.

Okay, soon comes my attempt to make the jam. We will see ........


Technorati Tags:
del.ici.ous Tags:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta