Skip to main content

MISC: Blog Day 2006

I HEART my blog friends!
Picture by R Neil Marshman


So apparently, today is Blog Day 2006, which means that you tell some other bloggers how awesome you think they are. I LOVE that. I love it when people tell me I am awesome! In gratitude for being told I am awesome, I will in turn pay it forward and tell some other people that they are awesome.

First, thank you to Garrett, who gave me some props. Garrett's blog is one of my regular stops, and he lives in the Sacramento area, which is a place I hope to avoid as much as possible, so you know his blog is totally good if I still enjoy reading about restaurants I will most likely never set foot in.

I'm not counting that as one of my blog day things, because this is about paying it forward, not about tagbacks and tea parties. So I will now list as Garrett so eloquently put it: "five blogs that I love to read on a daily basis and/or have recently discovered and have become my own electronic, literary cocaine." Now, I read a buttload of blogs, so here are some rules:

(1) I am not listing anyone I have already given a whole post to in my blog, because I've already done it.

(2) I am trying to list people who represent different aspects of my blog reading day so that I am well rounded.

(3) I am trying not to list bloggers who are already super-famous, unless there's a really good reason for it.

Okay, so:

1. The Delicious Life: Sarah is already pretty famous, so she doesn't need my props. However, I need to list Sarah, because The Delicious Life is the very first food blog I began to read regularly. Before I read Sarah's blog, I didn't really understand the world of food blogging. I lurked around Chowhound, and I did check out Pat Saperstein's blog, but thought of it as more of an L.A. blog than a food blog. But then I started following links from Sarah's blog and it was like ... "oh, yeah, this is the kind of blog *I* want!" And then my baby here was born.

2. Lack of Scienter: This is not a food blog, but it's very important to me. You see, last summer, I was taking the bar exam. GG was taking it as well, and she blogged about the experience. Now, at this time, my days were spent at bar review, then work, then studying at home. I barely saw anyone and I felt very isolated. GG and the rest of the bar exam blogging community were what kept me sane. It was good to know that there were people who shared my fears, and my amusement, and my disgust at certain things. Now GG is a first year associate at a medium/large corporate firm and I am a first year associate at a tiny trusts/estate planning firm. Our jobs couldn't be any more different, and yet her blog still makes me happy to read, because I feel like there's someone out there having a common experience and that's always nice to know.

3. Jeremiad: This is my friend, and one-time boss Jeremy's blog. I liked Jeremy right away because he was interviewing me for a job and his first question was: "So ... what does your e-mail address mean?" That's my favorite job interview question ever. Anyway, Jeremy is a writer and a food enthusiast and he is not afraid to air his most ponderous thoughts on his blog, which makes for both entertaining and thought-provoking posts.

---to be continued. I have to go home from work now. (I know! But it's the end of the day ... I can totally have a minute to blog. Shut up.) I'm posting now so that something gets put up before blog day actually ends.

Okay, continuation time:

4. Acme Instant Food: I love Acme for not thinking I am insane. (Or maybe he does, but tolerates me anyway). Acme became my food blog friend, because I saw one of his comments on Sarah's blog and based on that, decided that he was swell. Then I went to read his blog and knew for sure that he was swell and I wrote him this shameless gushing comment on his blog and did a whole post about his blog ... and oh crap, I just broke one of my own rules. Oh well, I am not very good at rules, anyway. Anyway, I love his imaginative food creations and the cool ingredients he uses, some of which I have never even heard of until he tells me about them!

5. Eggs Bacon Chips & Beans and it's companion blog, A Good Place for a Cup of Tea and a Think: OMG I love these blogs. This is a bloke from England who, in the first blog reviews nondescript little workaday cafes that are so common in England. He always orders the same thing: eggs, bacon, chips and beans and reviews the place based on that and some other criteria, including condiments, chairs and tables, and decor. The companion blog details ... well, I think you can tell just by the title. Love it. I love England, and once, while living and working there and being very poor, I was quite a frequenter of these types of places. Hey, you try being a foodie when you've got like, 1 pound 20 in your pocket. It's hard! But you could go to one of these places and get freshly toasted toast for 20 p. anytime. Yum.

Comments

Jeremy said…
The best thing about the Jeremiad is the occasional picture of Prince Judah, of course . . .

Thanks for the shoutout KT -- I'm super tempted to to a reciprocal post on the ol' Jeremiad hyping your site and ThatBitchMilla and Zee and JennyK . . . alas, it's Labor Day Friday and I want to get the f-ck out of here ASAP! But I think all the people on my blogroll know I "heart" them.
Wow, thanks KT. Happy blog day back at ya (a day late--that's me!).

I appreciate the kind words you've heaped on my blog. I was a little slow to the whole "blog day" thing. I've learned a lot from your spot in Blogville so there is much reciprocal praise. Happy Labor Day weekend to ya!
KT said…
Aww ... thanks! Here's to hoping we both get heaps of new blogging material due to our fun labor day adventures.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta