Skip to main content

RESTAURANT: Ristorante "Al Caruggio," Monterosso al Mare, Italy

Upon our arrival in Cinque Terre, we first checked into our hotel, the Hotel Villa Steno, perched at the top of the hill in the old town of Monterosso al Mare. Each room had a lovely terasse overlooking the town and the ocean.

After a little rest , J. and I went to explore our village. We walked through the main street of the old town, stopping for an espresso, and then out past the beach to the dock, and then back and through a tunnel to the new town. We took a stroll down the oceanfront street in the new town and found Cinque Terre's cinema. It was an open air theater where "Codigo Da Vinci" was playing. We were delighted to find that in Europe, Audrey Tatou's face is plastered all over the poster and her name is slathered across the top in giant letters. Then, all small, down at the bottom ... "oh, Tom Hanks is in this too." Awesome.

We were immediately drawn in by a little foccacceria , where we had some olive foccacia bread and a drink while sitting outside and peoplewatching. Then we walked the rest of the way down the street and then came back. On the way back, we got stuck at the gelato stand , where I had to purchase a pistachio gelato.

After that, we made our way back to the hotel, where my parents informed us that the hotel staff had recommended the Ristorante Al Caruggio, which in English means "the restaurant in the alley," which is exactly what it was. They didn't have a table immediately ( a good sign! It was crowded) so we had to wander a bit before sitting down to eat. We quickly discovered the "Fast Bar" and had some Campari before heading back for our dinner.

At the restaurant, I decided to try the Ligurian specialty--trofie with pesto. Trofie is a rustic Ligurian pasta that most resembles a joint when uncooked, and most resembles a worm when cooked. Pesto was invented in this region and remains a local specialty. Everyone makes their own fresh so there is variation from place to place . This particular pesto was heavy on the basil and was my favorite out of the ones I had this trip.


J. and my dad shared the risotto al frutti di mare. My dad balked at first due to his "shellfish allergy" which apparently only applies to fish that are in actual shells (clams and mussels) and not those with hard carapaces (shrimp and lobster) and is not life-threatening, merely stomach-threatening. But he managed to down his meal anyway and I didn't hear of any ill effects.


My mom had a fish fresh caught from the Golfo dei Poeti and cooked by the local method, which meant in some kind of pot.

I think this was truly a "local" restaurant. It was probably the one place we are where I heard no language besides Italian (except at our table). All of the food was freshly prepared, simple and delicious.

After dinner we strolled down to the beach area where a band was playing, hung about for a bit and then finally gave in to the monster jet lag and had to go to bed.

Comments

Anyanka said…
Delicious!!

My other friends just got back, and they have 600 pictures we will see when we visit them soon. As a slideshow! Do you have that many?
KT said…
No! We have 300 and something, but you will not have to look at all of them. The food ones will go on the blog and other than that we are selecting out an assortment of pictures and I'll do a slideshow on my computer.
Anyanka said…
Well, I think they went to Florence and Rome, too, and are both awesoem artists, so it makes sense that they wound have a few pictures of that...check out the LA Times' food section today if you haven't; some delicious summery recipies, like cucumber gazpacho and a bready pudding with seasonal fruit!
KT said…
I saw! By the way, we should do something ... assuming N. gets better. Maybe Friday? Or maybe we could just come over and hang all mellow-like?
Anyanka said…
Yes, or...not. Hopefully the new carpet won't be as allergenic...

About tomateos I know you have a thing, but...if you are going to try any (here anyway, rather than Italy) I would try some local heirloom tomatoes. They don't have that mealy texture, and they aren't red...maybe your body/mind wouldn't even recognize them as tomatoes? This heirloom tomato salad your husband and I had once at Angeli was just soooo good, it seems a shame for you to not try it. And you know those tomatoes were local...
KT said…
Hmmm ... we'll see. Maybe a bite of someone else's sometime.

Did you read the story about the people who dropped everything and moved to Big Sur to start a bakery? Jealous!

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta