Skip to main content

EVENT: Food Destinations 2--My Local Greenmarket


Maki of I Was Really Just Very Hungry is hosting the second edition of Food Destinations, a food blog event in which bloggers document a food destination under a certain theme in photos and blog about it. This edition is called "My Local Greenmarket," and bloggers are directed to take a journey to their local farmer's market and document the trip in photos as well as provide details about the market.

This is a perfect exercise for me. I love my local market and I go there almost every week to purchase a few things. To begin with, let me tell you about my market. There are a jillion farmer's markets in L.A.--one of the city's redeeming qualities. But for me, there is only one that I can walk to. It's a long walk, and sometimes I set out with visions of a young woman strolling down the sidewalk, skirt flowing in the breeze, looking cool in her sunglasses and looking even more cool with her little tote bag overflowing with greens and baguettes. The reality, unfortunately, generally turns out to be sweatier and stickier and the bag of stuff more of a burden than a decoration, but it's worth it all the same. And hey, a girl needs her exercise. This walk takes place in lieu of gym and it's so much better. Much more scenic, and free.

My market is a tiny market that hides itself on the little street that is the actual Melrose Place, which bears no resemblance to the fictional apartment building where so much Spelling-provided drama once took place. It's a tiny street that runs from La Cienega to Melrose, beginning at L.A. hotspot Republic, winding past various boutiques to end at Melrose, tantalizingly close to Sweet Lady Jane bakery, which is disappointingly closed on Sundays.

The market takes place on Sundays, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. year-round. This journey took place last Sunday, Aug. 27.


When we got to the market we headed straight for J.'s favorite booth: the heirloom tomato booth. This farm sells several varieties of heirloom tomatoes plus seedless cucumbers. They will give you a checklist to keep track of the different types of tomatoes you buy so that you can remember your favorites.


The tomatoes come in so many different colors that when set out on the table, they make up a natural work of art. This might be my new flag.


This guy is here every week with a plethora of vegetables. He doesn't really talk, just hands you a bag and then tells you a price once you pick out your wares. He has had good potatoes and corn this year, I wonder what he will have this week?


The fruit is most plentiful right now. Everywhere you go the booths look like this, mounded with grapes and peaches and nectarines and plums. Very delicious. I bought some Thompson seedless grapes from this stall to take home and freeze for snacks. This was the beginning of their peak time so I am eager to see how they progress from last week to this week.


There are also other foods available besides produce. There is a lovely Greek food seller who is really friendly and if you let him he will feed you samples all day long of fresh dolmas, baba ghanoush, different cheeses and olives and breads--you can practically get your whole lunch just sampling things at his stall. Of course he doesn't mind giving out samples because he knows the stuff is so good that once you taste it you will be compelled to purchase something. There is also a bread man with fresh baked breads and a few pastries. I purchased some ciabatta rolls to eat with the plum spice jam I had recently made.


In addition to ingredients, there are also some prepared foods for sale. This is the little crepe booths where you can have a crepe made while you watch. There is also a tamale stand and a mexican food stand. I have never tried the prepared foods because I am always so enthralled by the fresh produce.


And of course, there is entertainment. This guy provides gentle melodies on his guitar that create a pleasant backdrop for shopping. And he is a children magnet, which I think is a wonderful thing to have at a Farmer's Market because it keeps them from being where I will trip over them.


And when it's all over and you have made the sticky, sweaty, foot-blistering walk back home, you can refresh yourself with your freshly purchased foods. In this case some frozen grapes and rolls with jam. Oh ... and a Red Bull, which didn't come from the farmer's market, but was really necessary that day, as I was about to go spend some time at a family barbecue and my energy really needed bolstering before that could happen.

And that's it. I look forward to every Sunday morning now, and my trip to the market to see what's new and what has gone for good, food-wise and to plan out what I will be eating for the next week.


Tags:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta