Skip to main content

EVENT: Sugar High Friday: The Surprise Inside!


It's that time again. It's Sugar High Friday! This month's edition is hosted by Veggie Venture. The theme for this month is: The Surprise Inside. Participants are asked to create a sweet dish with some sort of surprise inside--either a surprise ingredient, or a hidden surprise treat, or any other reasonable interpretation of the theme.

In honor of the host, I began with a vegan recipe for brownie bites by Erin McKenna of Babycakes NYC. So the first surprise inside of this recipe is what's not in it: eggs, milk, and gluten. Then I destroyed the vegan-ness of it by adding in Vosges red fire chocolate chips, which are made with butter. Which is the second surprise, as these brownie bites have a spicy cinnamon-chile heat lurking in their belly.

As McKenna acknowledges in the article where I found this recipe, it's really hard to make good vegan brownies. The recipe is the product of six months on her part of trial and error, so as far as the main ingredients go, I didn't deviate at all.

However, I am not a vegan so I didn't feel the need to go strictly vegan and to be honest ... for a non-vegan, a vegan brownie is just never going to be as good as a buttery, eggy dessert. And I not only have myself to please, but a husband who doesn't care so much about health when it comes to his desserts, but they do need to taste good. Which is why I decided to add the Vosges chocolate chips instead of the dairy-free chips called for by the recipe. The exotic flavor provided the surprise that allowed me to participate in this Sugar High Friday. The Red Fire chips are made with dark chocolate, Mexican ancho and chipotle chili peppers, and Ceylon cinnamon. I was afraid they might be too spicy for the little brownie bites, but a quick taste before adding them proved that the heat was subtle and instead of burning, provided a warm background to the exotic cinnamon flavor.

The brownie bites turned out great -- soft and moist and fluffy. There is definitely a taste difference from a regular brownie. The applesauce gives it a more vegetable sweetness. We had exmaples both with and without the chips, to compare. I thought they were delicious with or without the chocolate chips, although I thought if they were any bigger, they wouldn't have been as good. J. thought that without the chocolate chips, they were a little disappointing. With the chocolate chips, he thought they were perfect.




RED FIRE BROWNIE BITES

Makes 12 servings

Prep time:

Active: 15 Minutes
Start to finish: 30 Minutes
  • Vegetable oil spray
  • ½ cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free, all-purpose baking flour, plus 2 tablespoons
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
  • ½ cup applesauce
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • ½ cup Vosges Red Fire chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325. Spray 2 mini muffin pans with vegetable oil spray or line with baby muffin cups. In a bowl, whisk the baking flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, oil and vanilla; stir into the dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the muffin pans, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until set. Let the brownies cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

Nutritional information per serving:
ONE BROWNIE: 69 cal, 4 gm fat, 0.8 gm sat fat, 10 gm carb, 0.8 gm fiber.

Tags:
Tags:

Comments

Unknown said…
Yum! I just tried some of the Vosges Red Fire chocolate last week and I am seriously addicted now.
KT said…
Yes! It is very good ... I'm really glad there's not a Vosges store nearby because I love their products.

My chocolate chips came with a recipe for brownies made with their Black Pearl chips, so I may have to think about that next!
Brilynn said…
I've never heard of these red fire chips before but I definitely have to get myself some. I've just started experimenting with putting hot flavours with chocolate and I really like it. I made a chocolate cookie with habanero pepper sauce and they turned out pretty good.
KT said…
Wow, a cookie with habanero is a pretty brave venture! I definitely think that chocolate and chile flavors go astonishingly well together. I am not much of a plain chocolate fan, but I love chocolate and chile or chocolate and salty also ...
Anyanka said…
vosges is (are) the bomb. what are in the black pearl chips?
KT said…
Black Pearl = dark chocolate with ginger, wasabi & black sesame seeds.

My chips came with a recipe for brownies with these in them plus candied ginger and marshmallows ... I think ... sounds magically delicious!
Josie said…
Red Fire Brownie Bites is such a great name! And the fire is a truly surprising twist for your SHF entry. How fun!
KT said…
Sooslo: Chili with chocolate sounds like a great idea. Mole sauce often has chocolate in it, so it makes total sense!

Josie: Thank you! These were really easy to make, also, and the ingredients are easy to find if you have a health food store or a Whole Foods nearby. Or you could just stick the Red Fire chips in a regular brownie recipe and I bet it would be fantastic.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta