Skip to main content

INFO: Figs 101

Go figure. "Fig" is not just just a sweet jammy paste that sits in the middle of a Newton. It is, in fact, a real live round globule of fruit. And right now is a perfect time to enjoy fresh ones. A fig is not just a fig, it is an inverted strawberry. It's true! The strawberry underlies the true fruits, which speckle its outside, while a fig surrounds its true fruit, which are in the center. What you think are seeds are actually tiny dried fruits! How cute!

But what is really fascinating is the sex life of a fig. Figs have a complex interspecies relationship going on with what is described as "a tiny wasp." In order to pollinate the florets inside, the fig has a little pore on the bottom through which the tiny wasp will enter to pollinate. I'm going to pretend I never learned that.

Some fig varieties can set fruit without pollination and produce seeds with no embryo. The way a fig reproduces affects its flavor, apparently. The figs fertilized by wasps are also more prone to spoilage. Calimyrna figs, which are common in California, must be fertilized. Farmers will bring in bags of wasps and have special separate "caprifigs" that are inedible and are solely to provide a source of fig pollen and a place for the wasps to lay their eggs. Let's hope never to accidently get one of these!

And now for a little history. Where do these strange fruits come from? Figs are native to the Mediterranean and Middle East and are relatives of the mulberry. They have been an important food source for thousands of years, because they easily sun-dry which allows them to be kept for a longer period of time before eating. The fig is the fruit most often mentioned in the Bible. And how did they get here? The fig came to America via Mexico along with the Spanish explorers and has thrived here.

Did you know that fruit has a metabolism? I did not ... at least I did not think of it that way. Not that I really have a great understanding of what metabolism is. I just kind of imagine it as how fast everything is moving around in your body. Like, I imagine a person with a quick metabolism as having blood pumping really fast and their muscles all do things really fast and their organs all work really fast. Of course I know that's the Sesame Street view of what metabolism actually is, although less accurate than Sesame Street would be, but it's all I have to work with when it comes to science. The point being that fruit has a metabolism just like humans do and figs have a naturally high metabolism and deteriorate faster than lethargic fruits and vegetables. What does this mean? If you buy fresh figs, you should be prepared to eat them right away because they will get soft and mushy right quick. As I learned to my chagrin a few weeks ago. You see, because of this fast metabolism and because they are 80% water, figs are very perishable. They do not improve after harvest and will steadily deteriorate after being picked. Their optimal storage temperature is 32 degrees F, or 0 degrees C, but the best way to keep figs is to dry them.

Nutritionally, figs contain antioxidants and also have a significant amount of calcium for a fruit.

The picture you see above is a fig and honey gelato as featured in Russ Parsons' article for the LA Times about figs, which my dear husband made especially for my gelato lovin' booty. It was delicious in flavor--it was very sweet and retained all the richness of flavor of the ripe fruit. --despite the fact that I was weirded out by the oh-so-'80s pink and green color combo.

SOURCE OF INFO: Harold McGee, "On Food and Cooking"

Tags:
Tags:

Comments

Humorous and informative at the same time. You are an amazing food blogger. As always, thanks for such a cool post!
KT said…
Acme: Awwwwww .... right back at ya, babe!

Sooslo: Thank you! How did you make it do Greek letters?
Jeremy said…
figs are one of those fruits I hate fresh but love dried (along with mango and papaya).

Is that weird? Wait, don't answer . . .
KT said…
No! I'm the same way ... a whole fresh fig is a bit much for me. I need to use them in something, like make a jam or little bits in a salad or ... in a gelato. Or in a Newton.

I love Fig Newtons. Is THAT weird?
Unknown said…
Did you read the Food Blogger Battle Post? Apparently Sam plans to kill you and Pim, BBQ you both, and taste test which is better.
KT said…
I love it ... it was kind of dumb to reveal her plan though. Now I am prepared for any sneak attacks.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta