Skip to main content

INFO: How to Tender-Roast Bell Peppers

So there is a title to this blog, which is "Gastronomy 101." I chose to title it that because thatis what it is for me. I have never been a person who cooks. I have always been a person who eats. Although I have gradually turned from a cheese pizza and hamburger-mayonnaise-only kid to a far more international palate. And as I've expanded my list of favorite foods I've expanded my interest in knowing how to make said foods.

And so in addition to eating delicious things, and learning about the different plants and animals that become my food, and experimenting with interesting looking recipes, I am also trying to teach myself some basic, simple cooking techniques so that I can spice up daily meals.

One such is the fire-roasted red pepper. This process transforms a regular red pepper into a soft, meaty treat. And it's oh-so easy. This method from Gourmet magazine is the easiest and best I have seen.

If for some reason the broiler doesn't work for you, you can also skewer the pepper whole and roast it over your gas burner like a campfire.

METHOD:

Preheat broiler.

Halve bell peppers lengthwise, then discard stems and seeds. Put peppers, cut sides down, in 1 layer in an oiled shallow baking pan. Broil 2 inches from heat until charred and softened, 15 to 18 minutes.

Transfer to a bowl. Cover and let steam 15 minutes. Peel.

UPDATED METHOD:

I recently found a new method, which I actually prefer based on my fragile smoke alarm's tendency to go off at the slightest wisp of smoke. I roast the peppers in a glass bowl with no oil, which seems to get us all through safely and quietly. In particular I:

Put your bell pepper whole into a glass roasting/baking pan and stick it 6-7 inches below the broiler. I basically have to take everything out and set it on the floor to do this. Broil about 5 minutes, or however long it takes until the skin is blackened. Turn over with tongs to the next uncooked side and broil again until blackened. Repeat until pepper is charred on all sides. Transfer to a large bowl, cover the bowl with a plate (environmental! no using plastic wrap) and let the peppers steam for at least 15-20 min. or until cool.

Working over the bowl, peel off the skin, pull out the stem+seeds and then cut down one side so that your pepper is now a wide flat strip. Cut into smaller strips, stripping away any remaining seeds and trimming off the white veins/membrane.


And what to do with your yummy peppers? Make my favorite food of course: a sandwich. The above is my fresh roasted peppers with watercress and herbed cheese on a La Brea Bakery baguette. It rocked.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta