Skip to main content

NEWS: Would You Like a Side of Fries With Your Misogyny?

Yesterday, there was an article in the LA Times food section by Regina Schrambling about supersized restaurants in New York.

Before I talk about the content of the article, I feel compelled to ask a question: what happened to the copyeditors at the LA Times? Did they all get fired? Because it's been so bad lately, that it appears that the articles are being thrown in without any sort of review whatsoever.

Spelling errors abound and we have to contend with sentences like this one: "Think small and you wind up in Brooklyn anymore, where daring restaurateurs can open idiosyncratic places for less than the $35,000-a-month lease burdening a small space even in the alleged culinary wasteland of the Upper West Side."

WTF? First of all--"you wind up in Brooklyn anymore"? What does that MEAN? I mean, I get it, from context, and ... I looked it up and this seems to be a regional usage of the word "anymore" in some parts of the U.S., meaning "nowadays," but ... it's not THIS region's usage, so what's it doing in this region's newspaper? Also, take a breath lady! Here's $5, go buy a period. That's a lot of big words to put in one not-so-little sentence.

Anyway, former-copyeditor/usage snob rant aside, I have more problems with the article than the need for some simple clean up.

See the article talks a great deal about a restaurant in NYC called "The Hawaiian Tropic Zone." If you know me, you can probably guess from the name how I feel about such a restaurant. But after reading it I have decided that the very existence of this restaurant completely offends me and I want to kick whoever thought this was okay in the nuts.

See in this restaurant, you are served by an all-female corps of waitresses, and the waitresses are clad in bikinis. Okay, first of all--gross. I don't want a nearly naked stranger that close to my food. Second of all ... my god, isn't being a waitress hard enough just by itself? Oh, but wait ... we are not done with these women. It is apparently NOT enough to force them to do a grueling and stressful job wearing almost nothing. They also have to compete in a waitress beauty pageant every night at 9:00 wherein all diners who want to participate get to judge them all on little cards provided at their table.

Okay, pardon my french, but fuck that. I mean, can you imagine? You already are forced to run ragged around this cavernous monstrosity of a restaurant in a bikini, serving what I am sure are the very top of the line in a-holes that would eat at a restaurant called "Hawaiian Tropic Zone" and then you have to get your butt up on stage in front of them EVERY night so that these same losers who are about to stiff you on your tip can tell you that your boobs are awesome, but your butt's a little big? Because that's just what women love, is being constantly evaluated on their looks.

But it's okay! Because they serve you butter on a slab of salt and they have swordfish on the menu instead of buffalo wings, so it's totally better than Hooters and this is all fine. Really. It's GOURMET trashiness.

Gross.

Comments

Milla said…
amen, sister.
Tableau Vivante said…
But even with the local stuff! Check the caption underneath the simple syrups picture.

I know the LA Times Staff Writer team is hurting right now. But this is Fact Checking 101. I did this as an intern at the City Paper. They had a squad of grammar fluent english majors going to town on the issue before it went out. Twice.

And there are PLENTY of local food writers who'd happily freelance some decent regional coverage. I actually don't mind them covering other regions, but they should do it from the Angelenos perspective, and not hand it to some juiced-in hack.

My fed-up two cents.
KT said…
Yay! I'm not alone ... and I agree, the copy-editing has been completely lacking for the past week and a half now, and not just in the food section, but throughout the paper.

I know times are tough economically for the print media but come on, it's embarassing for a Pulitzer Prize-winning publication to go out with so many noticable errors. And there are a lot. I caught three spelling errors without even looking for them and that should definitely not happen.
Tableau Vivante said…
Nope not alone. I've started several rants over at my blgo a few times, only to delete them. I've wanted to try and give them as much benefit of the doubt as I can muster. And they do have a couple of swell writers on staff, Russ Parsons being one of my favorites (his Seduction by Fig article was a delight to read). But on the whole, their rep has been thoroughly trashed by the poor quality fish wrap they're chruning out.
Tableau Vivante said…
And how dare I stomp on the L.A. Times with all my atrocious typos. GAH! :)
KT said…
Ha ha! I feel that way too, but then I remember ... this is a blog, not a major news publication. We get some freebies.

As soon as I get more than like, five readers, then the L.A. Times can yell at me about my grammatical mistakes and unprofessional swearing and I will take it like a woman.
Tableau Vivante said…
You have FIVE?! I think I have two. Me and my husband;).
KT said…
Yeah, not only do I have you, I have some friends, my mom and my aunt. I'm totally famous.

My husband I have yet to woo into readership. But that's okay, because he gets to hear my rants in person and eat the food, so depending on the situation, he gets either a better or worse deal than the readers.
Colleen Cuisine said…
GROSS! What is wrong with people? How do restaurants like this pass health inspection? This just further proves my theory that people should have to take an aptitude test to go out in public. Or have children.
KT said…
That's a good question, actually. Is it really up to code to have people serving food without being covered? To have their BODILY SECRETIONS so near to the food.
Chubbypanda said…
I'm so conflicted. On one hand, as a moderate liberal raised in the SanFran Bay Area, I'm just as offended as you are. On the other hand, as a red blooded American male, I find myself attracted to/titillated by the concept of this restaurant in an "OMG, I'm so ashamed of myself" sort of way; which is why, I suppose, the restaurant will thrive. Because, even if you disregard the assholes who will go to wallow in the objectification of women, there are plenty of normal, decent guys like myself who will be drawn to the concept even if we never admit it in public or allow ourselves to go. The line isn't whether or not we're attracted to the idea, it's whether or not we admit that we're wrong to be.

As my fiancee says, men are sluts. =b

- Chubbypanda
Unknown said…
As an ex gogo boy, the waitresses know what they are getting into when they take the job. So I have nothing else to say there

However, yeah, I do not want boob sweat on my fries. Ew. The judging... yeeeah, trashy and a bit soul crushing, but you know what you get into, and if you're smart, you get out.

The place prolly won;t last that long. I mean at Hooters I get awesome beer and shibby hot wings. And hot wings kick ass.

As for the copy editors. Yeeah, I mean I make spelling errors on my own shit or my blog because I might get tIerdd or lazzzzy, but for work you should be professional and know what the heck you were hired to do.
You have more than five readers my dear. I could compliment you further but that's as necessary as putting buttercream frosting on a scoop of Ben & Jerry's.

In fact, for once, I can't really add anything. You've said it beautifully.
Airy said…
I read that article and was disgusted too.
Anyanka said…
Times aren't tough for the LA Times financially--in fact, they are one of the few major papers to turn a tidy profit--but the owning Tribune Co. shareholders want even MORE profit, which means staffing cutbacks. LA area billionaires have offered to buy the paper, even, so that it can retain the high quality of journalism to which it is accustomed, but the Tribune shareholders don't want to give it up. Gotta love capitalism.

Also, can you post that article on le Bitch blog?
KT said…
I'll try to remember to post it when I get a minute.

As for the Times, after viewing the craptastic !NEW! layout, I can only surmise that whoever runs the Times needs to start taking their ADHD meds again.

I don't know if they're trying to look like they just cut and paste their stories onto the front page from a bunch of different newspapers or this is some new avant garde wave of typesetting that I simply do not understand.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta