Skip to main content

RESTAURANT: Pinkberry


So I finally tried this famous (infamous?) yogurt shop that has begun the conquest of Los Angeles. The yogurt that is called "crackberry" by many. What the L.A. Times calls "the yogurt that launched a thousand parking tickets" due to the notoriously bad parking situation in its original location and its customers tendency to wait in lines for hours. It's the newest thing, taking the place of cupcakes, it seems. It's a rebirth of the frozen yogurt fad of the late '80s, but this time it's different. This yogurt is different.

So, my lazy ass might be persuaded to go there, even though it's outside my 2 mile radius of things around my apartment. If it's really that good, I would go the extra .1 mile. But I would not go the extra .1 mile, AND have to go crazy trying to find parking AND then have to wait in life until my hairs turn grey. Nothing is that good.

But now there's one I can walk to, and the line is not that long, so we decided to try it now after dinner tonight. Unfortunately, I was kind of underwhelmed. It's not Pinkberry's fault. It's the fault of the people who talk about it. I have often heard Pinkberry described as "sour yogurt" or "it tastes like real yogurt that's been frozen." And so I thought it was going to be really tangy--that it would taste like REAL yogurt that had been frozen. And when I say real yogurt, I mean like a Stonyfield Farm plain yogurt ... but frozen. Instead, what I got was frozen Yoplait.

I had heard that it wasn't sweet, but it definitely tasted sweet to me. I think it's my old lady palate that seems to like sweet things less and less with each passing day. The yogurt tasted not only sweet but artificial. Maybe because most people eat flavored and sweetened yogurts, this really does taste like real yogurt to them?

I really would like to know what's in this, because I have read conflicting things: it has active cultures in it, it has no active cultures and is made from yogurt powder, it has no fat and no sugar, it has full fat and real sugar, and on and on. The makers claim it has around 20 calories per ounce, which is not very much. But then I see people getting a medium or large with graham crackers, chocolate chips and Cap'n Crunch on top and I wonder how healthy that is after you pack all of the toppings on. And I also wonder, looking at the gigantic sizes people are getting, whether people are replacing meals with this ... because if they are then "healthy" is not the word for that.

Anyway, Pinkberry, much like the Yoplait it reminds me of, is not a place I will be craving daily or going out of my way to eat at. But at the same time, I didn't think it was bad or gross ... it was still pretty good and if I happen to be say, eating at M de Chaya , or with a friend who is craving it, then I won't refuse to go in.

Comments

KT said…
Any time, babe. I don't think it's really bad to eat this ... I just question the fact that it's any healthier than normal frozen yogurt. As long as you're just getting it as your regular dessert, and especially if you're just getting it plain or with fruit, I think this is a fine thing to have and is not especially bad for you.

I believe it's basically just yogurt and sugar. I don't believe it's JUST yogurt, frozen. And of course, when people start throwing Cap'n Crunch and chocolate chips and stuff on there, they have to realize they're throwing all talk of "healthy" out the window.

Plus, soft serve yogurts are notorious for having more calories than they are claimed to, so I wouldn't be surprised if this does too.

But hey, it's a dessert. Dessert is supposed to be kind of sugary and bad for you. So I think as long as you realize what you're eating, it's fine.

Where it's bad is, like you say, with the eating disorder kids who eat this stuff for lunch and dinner. We had plenty of those with fro-yo when I was in high school--watch for it to start again.
KT said…
Well, I'm a sourpuss ... I like drinks with bitters and campari, and in my cooking class, I was chomping down my broccoli rabe while everyone else was pushing it to the side of their plate.

I'm not saying I didn't like it. It was good. But it's been a couple days and I haven't yet experienced the overwhelming need to go back.

I attribute it to the fact that I refrained from getting the "Fruity Pebbles" topping, which IS my personal crack and if I had eaten them, I would probably be back there at this minute.
Eddie Lin said…
bacteria counts as deep end dining. maybe i should review pinkberry like everyone else!
Okay, I'm late to this post, but I have to chime in here.

Pinkberry = yuckko!!!

Sour, funky, long lines, parking hell. Nope. Nothing fun here.
KT said…
Well, at least with all the new Pinkberries, the long lines don't seem to be such an issue anymore .... anyway, if everyone is waiting in line at Pinkberry, that means more gelato for me!

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

RECIPE: Serious Eats' Foolproof Pan Pizza

It was love at first sight ... the second I saw J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Foolproof Pan Pizza recipe ,I was twitterpated. I was definitely going to try to make this and see if it was really proof against this fool. Overall, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but when it comes to trying out new recipes, usually if there's a way I can totally mess it up, I will. Even if I get the actual process right, chances are I'll do something like try to check if the bottom's cooked while the pie is still in the pan and dump the pie all over the kitchen. :( (True story). Well, happy to say Mr. L-A has done it again. You could do worse than compile all his recipes and just use them as your cookbook. He takes a thorough and scientific approach to cooking but also has a way of translating it all for the casual home cook. The recipe was seriously easy - there is a lot of waiting time but very little active effort to expend. It's pretty much just mix the dough, let it rise, mak

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a