Skip to main content

WINE: 2004 Sofia Blanc de Blancs


This weekend I went to see Marie Antoinette, and now I find that I can't quite get out of the mood inspired by the film. The film is not for everyone, and has inspired both standing ovations and boos. It is a very stylized and understated portrait of a historical figure put into terms that a young woman of modern times can understand.

To me, the film says that no matter who you are, whether you are a college student, or a single mom, or a retail salesperson, or a lawyer, or the Queen of France, or the privileged daughter of a famous filmmaker, the moments of your life that truly define you are those that take place when you throw off your official identity and just do the things you like to do, with your friends and your family and your lovers and your pets.

But to be less English-major about it, and more practical, let me give you a list of things to be found in abundance in this film that happen to also be things that I enjoy. If you enjoy them too, then this just MIGHT be the film for you: puppies, elaborate enormous gowns, Manolo Blahniks, masquerade balls, New Order, Jason Schwartzman, gambling, gay hairdressers, The Cure, sexy Swedish soldier/counts, three-day birthday parties that end with you and your friends collapsed in a pile by a lake watching the sun rise, Asia Argento, mounds and mounds of cake, Laduree macaroons, and most of all .... pyramids upon pyramids of champagne.

So it was really no surprise that on Sunday morning, after a leisurely brunch with my very handsome and charming high school prom date and his equally handsome and charming boyfriend, I somehow found myself in the french market, perusing cheeses and charcuterie, but feeling a very distinct tug in the direction of the wine shelves.

I took a little bit of a look over at the champagne, and then walked on by. But as I did, I caught a glimpse of the wine clerk looking at me and smiling, as if to say: "I know you love our stylish, stylish sparkling wines. It's okay to buy just one. You know you want to." So I turned around and looked one last time. They ran the gamut from classic to contemporary to conveniently packaged for the girl on the go. And then my eye was caught by the bottled 2004 Sofia Blanc de Blancs all wrapped in pink cellophane with its sweet floral label, calling out to me "you too can be the Queen of France tonight, even if my grapes do come from Monterey and not Champagne."

So I bought it, and while I made up a crazy fontina-cheddar macaroni & cheese with pancetta and broccoli, J. poured me a French 75 (or perhaps in this case, a California 75?) . By the time we finished watching all our Sunday evening TV the bottle had mysteriously disappeared. How did that happen? So our couch potato selves were not magically transformed into decadent French royalty cavorting through Le Petit Trianon. But the wine was still good.

FACTS:

Blend: 82% Pinot Blanc, 12% Sauvignon Blanc, 6% Muscat

Alcohol: 11.5% by volume

Price: $19

Vineyard Notes: The grapes for Sofia are grown in northern Monterey County where gentle breezes from Monterey Bay contribute to the long, cool growing season. In this environment Pinot Blanc, the main component of Sofia, develops ripe flavors. Sauvignon Blanc grapes preserve the vibrant acidity of this wine, while the small addition of Muscat contributes a beautiful floral perfume and tropical fruit flavors.

Tasting Notes: The 2004 Sofia Blanc de Blancs exudes a delicate perfume of ripe apricots, tangerine, and pear. Bright flavors of summer melon and zesty lemon unfold on the palate with honeysuckle emerging on the crisp, vibrant finish.

Food Pairings: Pad Thai noodles with shrimp, warm goat cheese fondue, sushi, angel food cake with lemon glaze, apple strudel

Comments

I love your new look KT (and the feathers are a superb touch).

Okay, I REALLY want to throw a party and do one of those champage pyramids. I'm gonna need some help (somebody who drinks less coffee than I and has steadier hands). Let's do it and stream it live over our blogs.
KT said…
Why thank you, the dress cost me a fortune! And the tall wig.

Do not count on me to do the champagne pyramid, unless it's part of a comedy routine. If it's specatular crashing you want though, I am definitely your girl.
Oh come on! We'll start a new "meme." We'll tag other bloggers to try it too. It'll be a bit of a race to see who can complete the biggest pyramid without anyone being rushed to their local emergency room with a flute stem protruding from their jugular!
KT said…
Oooh! Can you imagine if we could get some kind of domino effect going? We could start in California and then have champagne pyramids be poured across the land. For charity. And call it "Bubbles Across America."

And we would have people film it and then we could set it to music and make an awesome video.

And a new era of peace and prosperity would dawn.
Behold the power of bloggers. You are just simply too darn cool KT!!! :)
Anonymous said…
This has been the most informative blog post I've read to date,,,took me forever to get thru all the facinating links.

Thai noodles, apple strudles, (pink poodles?)

wait a minute....is that champagne in a can?? and Sofia? as in privileged daughter of a famous film/wine maker?

dang...an item for my christmas list

the four pack of minis (don't forget the cute lucite ice bucket) and a truckload of Laduree macaroons!!! oh yeah... that's a picnic...
KT said…
Yes, that is indeed champagne in a can. Tres convenient for parties, picnics, and a long day at the office.

And it is indeed named after Ms. Coppola. It also comes in a pretty bottle, and she also has a Rose.

I had to be thematic with my drinking. :)
Chubbypanda said…
I wanna be Queen of France too!

Err... Maybe not. But I would like to try that wine, and I like puppies...

- Chubbypanda
KT said…
I WOULD want to be Queen of France, were it not for the years of imprisonment and eventual beheading. That really puts a damper on things.

Anyway, I got the wine, and the puppy. I GUESS I can live without the Swedish count.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

RECIPE: Serious Eats' Foolproof Pan Pizza

It was love at first sight ... the second I saw J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Foolproof Pan Pizza recipe ,I was twitterpated. I was definitely going to try to make this and see if it was really proof against this fool. Overall, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but when it comes to trying out new recipes, usually if there's a way I can totally mess it up, I will. Even if I get the actual process right, chances are I'll do something like try to check if the bottom's cooked while the pie is still in the pan and dump the pie all over the kitchen. :( (True story). Well, happy to say Mr. L-A has done it again. You could do worse than compile all his recipes and just use them as your cookbook. He takes a thorough and scientific approach to cooking but also has a way of translating it all for the casual home cook. The recipe was seriously easy - there is a lot of waiting time but very little active effort to expend. It's pretty much just mix the dough, let it rise, mak

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a