Skip to main content

DETOX: Day 12--Farmer's Market Meals

If you're in the middle of a crazy diet and you've reached a series of days where you are eating all vegetables, all the time, a good way to cheer yourself up is to go to the Farmer's Market, where everywhere you look, there are things you can eat! And there are very few things you can't eat to tempt you. Only your favorite bread man--and you have to kind of turn your head away and walk by real fast so he doesn't see you and feel sad and wonder why you suddenly didn't stop by for your package of ciabatta rolls.

Of course, this was the post-Thanksgiving farmer's market, which is a sad affair. There were fewer stalls and the ones that were there had only slim pickings. Can you believe I found only one meager bunch of carrots in the whole market? There weren't many greens to choose from either. Which meant I had to go the farmer's market and then come back home and go to the real market. But at least favorite-Asian-fruit&veg-man came through with several necessary items, so it wasn't a wasted trip.

With my farmer's market finds, and my regular market picks rounding out the selection, I was able to put together a lunchtime salad and dinnertime soup that fit my dietary requirements.


For lunch, I had a butter lettuce salad inspired by Suzanne Tracht. I'm not sure if it's merely coincidence, or if there is a deeper meaning behind the fact that all of my chef girlfriends are named Suzanne. All I know is that Ms. Tracht runs a close second behind Ms. Goin for my affections, since Jar has provided me with many happy nights of hanging out at the bar drinking delicious cocktails and eating homemade potato chips and whatever appetizers were on special that night. I hope to go back there just as soon as I finish this pesky diet. In the meantime I will eat the salad. There's not much to it but lettuce and radishes, but the lemony-garlicky-herb-filled dressing made a huge difference. I saved the leftover dressing for future salads because it was a keeper.



For dinner, it was a soup night. I decided to make this carrot soup from Gourmet's Thanksgiving issue. I'd just been to Indian food the night before and was still fondly reminiscing, so the curry powder caught my eye. This soup was really something special. I am wary of carrot soups because after umpteen times of trying to get down carrot-ginger soups, I have conceded that ... it's not my favorite combo. I haven't been sure about carrot soups since, but this one is warm and the spices and the nuts add a richness that is addictive. Plus the nuts give a little crunch that is really welcome when you're moving into an all-liquid diet phase. But if you aren't a nut-lover (you know what I mean!) then you could easily eat this without the nuts and it would be fine.

Gah. Only nine more days and then ... watch out, carbs. Here I come.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was sixteen when I last ventured into Farmer's Market... The only food I remember there was fried tacos and cotton candy. I purchased cotton candy and the Thomas Wolfe book 'Look Homeward, Angel'.... A book I did not understand nor appreciate until I re-read it in 1981 on a long boring weekend.

The cotton candy? What's not to like about fluffy spun sugar?
KT said…
Yeah, it's a little different now ... but I think that Patsy D'Amore's was there back then, was it not? At least, that's what all the pictures of Frank Sinatra eating the pizza lead me to believe.

But those lovelies up there came from the real farmer's market. The one with farmers. Because I do not go near the Grove around holiday time. Way too traumatic.
KT said…
Hee! :)

Nothing like a supermarket lunch. Although I will admit the Gelson's near my work has the most fabulous eating area in the general vicinity. With a fireplace! If I stop there in the morning when it's cold, I always want to stay.
Unknown said…
You're gonna like, turn into a carb the day you break this aren't you? After you devour an entire bakery and the baker I mean...
KT said…
You do not even know! I have lists of all of the bread and cheese combinations I want to eat.

Do you know how hard it is to eat only vegetables when Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton have just opened a pizzeria right down the street from you? Gah!
Chubbypanda said…
You can do it, KT! Keep the faith!

- Chubbypanda

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta