Skip to main content

DETOX: Pappardelle with Vegetable "Bolognese"


Day 2 of my detox is another easy day. I didn't have directions as to breakfast and lunch, except that I had to start my day with lemon juice in hot water with a pinch of cayenne. That may sound like it would be terrible, but I actually like it. It's like a spicy drink. If you like spicy heat, it's good. I swear.

I was also supposed to drink something she calls "Inner Beauty " tea, but I have tons of teas and I'm not about to go concocting special ones just for this diet. Instead I drank some rooibos red tea that I already had at work (thank you, husband!) .

I don't think I had breakfast. I am really trying to remember what I had, but I can't. So I don't think I had any. That's what happens to me in the morning. Lunch was my last "free" meal, so I had a BLT because that contained some things I won't be having for a while, but wasn't an all out fat-fest.

In the afternoon I had my "hydrating drink," which is just half apple cider, half water. Mine was fuji apple cider and cost about a zillion dollars because I didn't notice the price on the juice I was picking up until I was at the register. But it was really good juice. But seriously. It was $5 for a 16 oz. bottle of juice.

Dinner was my first designated meal, but it was an easy one. I had to eat either a pasta or potato with either vegetable or salad. I was also supposed to have a bowl of vegetable broth, but I forgot to get it when I was at the store, so I just skipped it.

I decided on pasta + vegetables because I could combine the two and just eat it all at once. Much easier that way. I decided to make the pappardelle with vegetable "bolognese" from the November issue of Gourmet. Except no cheese. (sad face).

Now, recipes like this are really of the "just a guideline" variety for me, because really, if all you're doing is throwing a bunch of vegetables into a pasta I don't feel the need to follow recipes exactly. I just used whatever amounts of stuff I thought seemed right to me. And I used a mix of wild mushrooms instead of just porcinis.

I also had to use dried rosemary since I didn't have fresh. It's all over our neighborhood, so I was really tempted to just go grab a stick from somewhere. But for one thing, I would have really had to scrub it because I am sure my dog isn't the only one in the neighborhood who adores peeing on the rosemary. Also, the bush I know for sure about is a whole block away. Way too far!

It actually turned out to be quite a nice first diet night meal. Granted, it's really easy on the first day when I'm still allowed to eat mostly everything, but I didn't miss the cheese at all. The dish was winter-y and hearty and the mushrooms and red wine reduction provided the meatiness that one might miss from the bolognese, with a satisfying fresh green flavor from the celery and some extra bursts of flavor from the herbs.

So far so good. But the real challenge will be making it through the weekend.


Comments

Chubbypanda said…
Go KT! Go KT! Raa Raa Raa!

- Chubbypanda
Anonymous said…
Ha ha! Thanks, I need all the encouragement I can get.
Anonymous said…
Crap that Jeremy read incorrectly:

I looked at your title and said "BLOG-onese?" Like blog-based pasta? Holy crap, how far can this online obsession go?

So, then I came back from Stupidville.
Anonymous said…
If I ever make anything "blogonese" you have my permission to smack me.
Anonymous said…
so far....so good!

just learned you won't be in town next week, sigh...

fight on! (for Victory)...in case you go to a game
Anonymous said…
No, but we will be in town soon ...

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

RECIPE: Serious Eats' Foolproof Pan Pizza

It was love at first sight ... the second I saw J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Foolproof Pan Pizza recipe ,I was twitterpated. I was definitely going to try to make this and see if it was really proof against this fool. Overall, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but when it comes to trying out new recipes, usually if there's a way I can totally mess it up, I will. Even if I get the actual process right, chances are I'll do something like try to check if the bottom's cooked while the pie is still in the pan and dump the pie all over the kitchen. :( (True story). Well, happy to say Mr. L-A has done it again. You could do worse than compile all his recipes and just use them as your cookbook. He takes a thorough and scientific approach to cooking but also has a way of translating it all for the casual home cook. The recipe was seriously easy - there is a lot of waiting time but very little active effort to expend. It's pretty much just mix the dough, let it rise, mak

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a