Skip to main content

MISC: Maybe Christmas DOES Come From a Store

I'm such a sucker. I have been amazingly overwhelmed lately. My boss is out of town and I suddenly find myself with my very own law practice. I have tons of work to do, and then my phone rings every two minutes with people asking me questions I can't possibly answer and the work doesn't get done. And then on top of that I STILL do things like take an hour and a half long lunch on Friday and then come back and it's someone's birthday so I sit and hang out with him and talk crap and drink a beer and next thing I know it's 4:30 and I haven't done anything since lunch. And so, I have to spend my Saturday doing someone's estate plan instead of relaxing. And Sunday. Yippee!

And then Christmas is coming and I have to get presents and wrap them and figure out how I am going to get all of them to the places they need to go. And I myself am having no christmas this year. Which in many ways is a relief, and in other ways is kind of sad.

So all in all I've been a bit stressed/overwhelmed/bitter/Grinch-y these days.

But today, I went to the market to pick up vegetables for lunch, in anticipation of my holiday dinner for husband's company at Il Grano tonight (more on that in a later post). I decided to make it a salad for lunch so I didn't have to feel too guilty about the major eating I was about to do. So I walked into the store and picked out some endive, and some curly endive, and some radishes and some satsumas all while dodging various people trying to offer me raw food and vegan cakes and some rollerskating lady with some diet who's like "I'm 62 and I look fabulous!" Which is correct, but I also don't care. And it dawned on me that some sort of extravaganza was happening. But that happens at my store almost every weekend so I kind of ignored it.

But then, after I checked out, and was about to leave, this Santa Clause in sunglasses suddenly swooped down on me and was like, "Ho ho ho! Thank you for shopping with us and making it a great year!" And he gave me a present! (pictured above).

And after all these years, getting a present from Santa still has some sort of magic power. Because I walked home with this damn grin on my face, and all the time I was kind of thinking "What the hell?" But I couldn't stop smiling.

So thank you Santa, for the oxygen water, and the vegan cookie and the electrolyte drink and the immune system and anti-inflammation supplements, and the castile soap and the fish spice rub. And my dog thanks you for his healthy heart chicken breast jerky chew thing. He's never gotten a present from Santa before, so he's pretty stoked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta