Skip to main content

NEWS: New (or Sort of New) Restaurants

* Du-Pars has reopened in the Farmer's Market after a crazy long renovation. Unfortunately, the reports are underwhelming. Colleen Cuisine calls it "Sub-par's" citing lukewarm coffee, meh french toast, and grossest of all, a tuna melt consisting of cold tuna salad on raisin bread ... raisin bread! with unmelted cheese. Barf. My friend and former neighbor, and french toast expert was very excited about the opening date, since she loves the french toast at the Studio City location. Sadly, she too pronounced it disgusting saying of the french toast: "There was so much extra egg I thought I was eating an omelet with bread." She almost called up Studio City to tell them the Farmer's Market people were doing the french toast wrong, in hopes that they might school them. I don't blame her.

DuPars Restaurant & Bakery
Farmer's Market
6333 W. 3rd St.
(Third & Fairfax)
(323) 933-8446

Studio City
12036 Ventura Blvd.
(east of Laurel Canyon)
(818) 766-4437

*Hollywood Gelato Company: More gelato in Silverlake? I guess it's like Starbucks there. There can never be too many. Hollywood Gelato Company is on Hillhurst in a small yellow building. It would take a lot to get me to stray from my true love, Scoops, and reports from Chowhound so far report good, but not great gelato. It would take more than that to get me over to Silverlake.

The owner, Annette Ricchiazi opened the shop in the former site of her grandparents' Italian deli. The gelato served is not made on site, but is imported from Michigan. There is a rotating selection of 24 flavors and a flat-screen tv that shows sports and old movies.

Hollywood Gelato Company
1936 Hillhurst Ave.
Los Angeles
323-644-3311

HOURS: M-Th, 1:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m., F-Sa 1:00 p.m. until midnight and Sun. noon-10:00 p.m.

*Royale: This fancy-schmancy restaurant/lounge finally opened in the Wilshire Royale Hotel December 16. It's 1920s style to compliment the era of the hotel. The executive chef is Eric Ernest, who has done time at BOA and Citrine. The cuisine is French-American and desserts include a chocolate tasting and a bowl of cotton candy (!). And in a fabulous move, there is complimentary valet parking with restaurant validation. This feature is enough by itself to make me want to go.

Royale
2619 Wilshire Blvd.
213-388-8488

HOURS: Nightly, 5:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m., Lounge open until 2 a.m.

Comments

Tableau Vivante said…
Hey, mija!

We're in the LA Times Food section:)

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-dish3jan03,0,6873405,full.story?coll=la-home-food
KT said…
So I see! Pretty spiffy. Maybe if you can become the Farmer's Market expert of L.A. you can rake in the free fruit and veg. ;)
Word travels fast, but in case you haven't heard that people are talking 'bout you...

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-dishside3jan03,0,2585945.story?coll=la-home-food
KT said…
*blush* Is that why my ears have been burning all morning?
No. I forgot to mention that your shirt collar is on fire. Sorry.
Tableau Vivante said…
Farmer's Market Queen of L.A. thankyouverramuchly ;).

Gosh, free produce. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest? ;)
Granny said…
Wow....good ink

famous foodie no fan of fresh fish
re: the raisin bread bit...
if you don't like raisins, then this won't matter, but - i think it's a sweet/savory combo sort of thing. it can really be quite good. the french market does a turkey salad sandwich "royale" on raisin bread and it's yummy. haven't had the tuna melt at dupar's, but it sounds beyond hope anyways. and, frankly, if i'm at the farmer's market, dupar's is the last place i'd want to eat. i'd be staring out the window longing for a soft shell crab po'boy from the gumbo pot. LOL

and congrats on the times!!
KT said…
I get the sweet/savory, but sweet/tuna? Blech! But I've since discovered that the raisin bread was actually upon request, so I have to take away that ding.

It was kind of cool to think there would be another breakfast place at Farmer's Market, but I guess I'll stick with Kokomo's for that.

And you're right, there are so many better options at Farmer's Market ... I'll take my laksa soup from Singapore's Banana Leaf any day!

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta