Skip to main content

RECIPE: Chicken Curry and Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Green Beans and Ginger


Oops! I forgot to take pictures!


The other night, we had my in-laws over for dinner. Yikes! I have never felt so much like a '50s housewife, all nervous and trying to impress someone with my domestic skillz. Generally, when I am cooking for others, I just make pasta. It's the safe, easy-to-impress, easy-to-cook-in-bulk option. But this time there were dietary restrictions to consider, and I had to go outside my normal comfort zone.

After literally a week of considering different things, J. and I decided on Indian. I was looking at an article about Indian vegetable stir fries in Fine Cooking magazine and they looked so good that we decided to make one of them, and some Tandoori chicken to go with it. Then I looked at the recipe for Tandoori chicken, which advised that if I made it in the oven as opposed to a covered grill, I had best be prepared for lots of smoke.

No.

Not only do I not appreciate smoke with my asthmatic lungs, but we have a very ornery smoke detector that goes off if it even thinks there might be a vapor somewhere. So the plan was changed to chicken curry, and I found a recipe in my new Joy of Cooking.

I discovered something very interesting while looking at the stir-fry recipe's nutrition information, which is that peas have a lot of carbs. The stir fry I chose had about 20g of carbs and it was almost entirely from the peas. So I took the peas out of the recipe for this creation, and I did not notice anything missing in the end. Except perhaps some vitamins. I'd probably leave the peas next time, anyway. But in case you care about carbs ... be warned.

I also could not find fenugreek leaves, dried or fresh, so I ended up using ground fenugreek seed (in a much smaller amount, obviously). Which turns out to be some kind of miracle cure, so hopefully I got my health ration for the week as well.

Both of these recipes turned out to be really easy and stress free to make. Once you got past the prep, which was not hard, then it was just a matter of throwing things in pans and then waiting for them to be ready. I was even able to enjoy a game of Wii bowling while the curry simmered.

And when it was over, we had two totally empty cooking pans. The chicken came out delicious although perhaps not as spice-flavored as I would have liked and perhaps could have simmered a bit less. I had to leave it on a very low simmer for some extra time beyond what the recipe called for and I wonder if it might have been juicier if I had taken it off earlier.

The stir fry was fantastic. It was very flavorful and lucky it tasted and smelled good, because my apartment still smells a little like it.

I was mostly just happy I managed to successfully cook for everyone without any explosions, burning, eruptions, food poisoning, or other anticipated distasters.

CHICKEN CURRY (From Joy of Cooking)

  • 3.5 - 4.5 lbs. chicken parts
  • 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 2 tsp. minced ginger
  • 1.5 tsp. garam masala
  • 1 tsp. turmeric
  • 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
  • 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, quartered lengthwise
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
Remove the skin from the chicken parts. Heat oil in a wide heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, stirring occasionally, until browned, 7-10 min. Add garlic, ginger, garam masala, and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 30 sec. Add chicken in batches and cook, turning once, until golden, 2-3 min. on each side. Stir in yogurt. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the yogurt has reduced and thickened and the oil separates into pools, 3-5 min. Stir in water, cilantro, pepper, and salt. Simmer, covered, and cook until the thigh releases clear juices when pierced with a fork, 30-40 min. Remove chicken to a platter and cover to keep warm. If the sauce is thin, boil over high heat to reduce and thicken it. Pour over the chicken. Serve with rice and a chutney.

STIR-FRIED CAULIFLOWER WITH GREEN PEAS AND GINGER (from Fine Cooking Magazine, January, 2006, "Make it Tonight," Suvir Saran)

  • 3 Tbs. canola oil
  • 1/4 cup dried fenugreek leaves or 1/2 cup fresh fenugreek leaves, chopped (optional)
  • 1 to 3 small dried whole red chiles
  • 1 Tbs. ground coriander, preferably freshly ground
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 3 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
  • 1 medium jalapeno (seeds and ribs removed if you prefer a milder flavor), finely chopped
  • 2.5-3 lb. head cauliflower, cored and cut into medium florets 1 - 1.5 " long (6-8 heaping cups)
  • 2 cups (about 10 oz.) frozen green peas (do not thaw)
  • 2 tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
  • 1/4 tsp. homemade or store-bought garam masala (optional)
Heat oil with fenugreek, chiles, coriander, and cumin seeds in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cumin browns and becomes fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Add ginger and jalapeno and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent ginger from burning, until the ginger is fragrant and sizzling, 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Add cauliflower and stir to coat with spices. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 min. and then stir in peas and salt. Cover and cook until cauliflower is tender and peas are very tender, 5-8 min. more. Uncover the pan, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the garam masala and cook until any remaining liquid in the pan evaporates. Add salt to taste and then serve.

Comments

MMMMmmmmmm I bet the house smelled amazing while it was cooking! Congrats on a successful in-laws feeding (oh such pressure)!
AK said…
This recipe sounds really good! I was forget to take pictures. Sometimes food gets tempermental and tries to run away. Well done!
AK said…
Oops, I meant always forget to take pictures. I was??
Chubbypanda said…
Yum! Well done.

Your wok is still too light in color. Fry more things in it!
KT said…
You're right! But I'm white, so I don't use my wok nearly as often as I should. I usually just use the skillet or saute pan, or even the dutch oven.

But now I have a shiny new Chinese cookbook and an arsenal of Indian stir-fries, and the wok is at the top of the pan-pile, so maybe it will get used more.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta