Skip to main content

EVENT: April Food Events in Los Angeles


Spring has sprung, you guys. Look at that flower that has miraculously appeared outside my office window. It surprises me every time I print something out. I often suspect that it is fake, except for the fact that it is growing right out of the ground. Since the weather is nice enough to coax brilliant orange flowers out of their shells, it's nice enough to coax epicureans out of their kitchens and out about the town. Here are some events coming up throughout the next month, should you feel the need to shake off the winter dust and get out for some activity.

April 5: Passover Dinner at Angeli Caffe. Angeli's Thursday night family-style dinner this week will be a Passover meal. The meal includes Long-Cooked Eggs Tinted with Onion Skins; Haroset of Dates, Oranges, Raisins, Nuts, Spices; Leek Croquettes; Pesce en Carpione (sauteed whitefish marinated w/caramelized onions in a mustard-champagne vinaigrette); Chicken Soup w/Chicken Dumplings and Matzo Balls; Evan’s Pot Roast; Pollo Arrosto (garlic, rosemary, lemon chicken); Tortino di Azzime (a "mazzagna" of vegetables, and fresh tomato-basil sauce); Cianfotta (stew of leeks, peas, asparagus, artichokes, tender lettuce, mint); Parsley, Radicchio, and Napa Cabbage Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette; Flourless Chocolate Cake (has dairy); and Apple Crisp with Matzo-Cinnamon Topping (make sure to recline to the left!). Whew! That's a lot of food.

This seems like a perfect way to gear up for your seder or to go if you don't have family around to celebrate with, or just to go for dinner if you're not Jewish but want to get an idea of what one might eat at Passover if they had an amazing chef as a Jewish mom.

Dinner is $38 pp, reservations held by credit card. 62 seats available.

In case you're wondering, no I'm not Jewish, except by marriage. But after five years of marriage (as of March 30, yay for us!) I now know my way around the Seder table.

April 15: Santa Monica Farmer's Market 25th Anniversary. A fundraising reception and dinner will be held on this date to Benefit the Southland Farmer's Market Association. Farmers will be there and local chefs such as Michael Cimarusti, Michael McCarty, and Mark Peel will be serving up chow. This is not for the plebes. Tickets are $100 apiece or a whole table for $1000. If anyone wants to sponsor me, I would be happy to go and report back in detail. For info and tickets call (310) 455-0181.

April 19: Dine out Los Angeles. On this date, selected restaurants around L.A. will donate 20% of their profits to Aid for AIDS. I'm thinking this might be a good time to hit up Chameau again. And Acme Instant Food, this is a heads up to you that El Coyote is participating. Margaritas for a cause! Other participating restaurant loves of mine: Gyu-Kaku, The Gumbo Pot, Hungry Cat, M Cafe de Chaya, Pitfire Pizza, Hugo's, Ole Tapas Bar, The Abbey, Astro Burger (donating 50%! Extra credit!), and Lucques. There are many more so check if one of your faves is on there.

April 21: Learn to cook from the "Hot Tamales." Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger will hold a "Taste of Spring" cooking class from 2-4 p.m. At Ciudad. They will demonstrate a four-course lunch and then participants will enjoy the lunch along with some signature cocktails. Participants will receive a recipe book to take home. Dishes include mango batida; crab and quinoa fritters with spicy aji amarillo aïoli; grilled chicken with cilantro sauce and pickled tomatoes; and key lime pie with sweet crema and lime zest. Cost is $75 per person and reservations can be made by calling Ciudad (213-486-5171). Once again, I'm totally willing to go and take the class and report back if anyone wants to sponsor the trip. I'll even make you a copy of the recipe book!

April 21-22: Tomatomania! See, I give equal opportunity on this blog, despite my raging bias against tomatoes. This weekend Tomatomania comes to the Party on La Cienega store. They'll be throwing down with a sidewalk sale, tomato-style. Shop for seedlings and then go in and shop for party supplies for your tomato planting party. Other tomato events are happening through the land in the next couple of months.

April 30th: 5x5 at Providence. In the words of Faith, the vampire slayer, everything's "five by five" when the best chefs in Los Angeles host a rotating series of collaborative dinners. Angelo Auriana, Michael Cimarusti, Josiah Citrin, Christophe Eme, and David LeFevre and each contribute a course to five course meals that will be served at each of their restaurants on different dates. Providence hosts the first meal on April 30th. You pay for the privilege, at $130 per person, $190 with wine pairings. But you get what you pay for, as these are some amazingly talented chefs who have the capability to wow diners with their cooking magic. I highly recommend that if you're considering paying for me to go to a food event and report back, that this be the one. I would pull out all of my descriptive stops for this meal.

Comments

As always KT, thanks for the awesome research and for posting important messages like Dine Out L.A. In fact, It's so important to me that I think I'll go to El Coyote tonight and make sure they are prepared! I'm sure we'll give them business too, you know, seeing as we are gong to be there.
Chubbypanda said…
Thanks for the heads up!

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta