Skip to main content

RECIPE: Chicken and Bean Soup

I like Sunday afternoons to be lazy. I like everything I do to be easily accomplished within the confines of my apartment, preferably within the confines of my futon. If I must leave, it had better be somewhere I can walk to. Besides laying around reading or watching TV, another thing I like to do is cook.

I have two goals for this month. I am dieting in order to slim down in preparation for my trip to Japan at the end of the month. I also have a lot of work to finish up before I leave for said trip, so I need to make things easy for myself, since I probably won't have a lot of free time.

So this Sunday I spent the afternoon making a gigantor batch of soup to provide me with ready made meals throughout the week. I based the recipe on a chicken and hominy soup I found in Bon Appetit. I used beans instead of hominy for a more European style soup.


First. Before you make anything, you need a refreshing drink to help you. Because it's Sunday, and I am still feeling Italian after my dinner at Mozza last night, I used Prosecco as my liquid sous chef. I think it really helped.

The first thing you need to do is prep your ingredients:

  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 bunches green onions, sliced
  • 4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 10 cups low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
  • 1 purchased roast chicken, meat shredded, skin and bones discarded
  • 4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
  • 1 can cannellini beans
  • 1 can great northern beans
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro.
I purchased my chicken from Erewhon market. Despite the fact that it's a health food store that caters to vegetarian, vegan and macrobiotic diets, they have excellent rotisserie chicken here. It comes in "rotisserie," rosemary, jamaican, and lemon garlic. They didn't have a whole rotisserie, so I purchased rosemary, which turned out to have a nice flavor for the soup. The dog helped me by eating the skin and the husband helped me by tasting the chicken to make sure it was okay.

Now it's time to start cooking. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the green onions, cumin and paprika and saute for five minutes. This is about the time your house will begin to smell delicious. Once the onions are sauteed, add broth, tomatoes, chicken, tabasco and beans and then bring the soup to a boil.

Mmm. Delicious. But its not ready yet. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Then add the cilantro, ladle into bowls and serve.

The soup turns out to be a hearty bowl that's a nice winter dinner. The husband, who is naturally thin and doesn't need to be dieting, added rice to his, which I think turned out well.

The recipe makes 8 servings, so I now have enough for several meals throughout the week as well.

Comments

dhp said…
i envy your blog skills. i want to know how to insert fotos btw text! i need to take a blogging class if there is such a thing. or buy a goddamn book so i can step my game up.

i'm with you on the sunday cook-offs. last sunday i made a huge pot roast with egg noodles. perhaps i'll give this soup a try next week.

btw, it looks like you already have plenty of food blogs to read already, but i came across this one recently if you wanna check it out:

http://aliapia.blogspot.com/
KT said…
Cut and paste, my friend. It's all about the cut and paste. But I will tell you a secret. I somehow destroyed this post the first time I tried it and this was my second effort. I'm not as suave as I appear.

Thanks for the linkie!
Jeremy said…
I would like to borrow or steal your sous chef.
KT said…
It's in my belly. ;) But I know where to get some more.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta