Skip to main content

JAPAN DAY 6: Shibuya

Well, this day was a little lacking in pictures and experience because we spent a lot of it on the train, but I did get some good pictures of our dinner.

Day 6, we made our way back to Tokyo by train, ready for the next phase of our journey. Our last days in Tokyo would be spent in areas of a different pace. We would be staying in Shibuya and making the rounds through the crazy shopping of Shibuya, the crazy nightlife of Shinjuku, the crazy fashion of Harajuku and the crazy architecture of Aoyama.

Our first day, we explored our neighborhood. Only a few minutes walk from our hotel was the famous Shibuya crossing. The busiest intersection in the world.


This is Jason with Hachiko the dog. Hachiko was a real dog once, who used to accompany his master every day to the train station here and then come back to wait for him every evening. Hachiko's master was a professor and one day at work he got ill and he died wthout returning home. After Hachiko's master died, the dog continued to come to the station every single day to wait for his master. He continued to come to the station every day for the next ten years, until finally he died on the spot he last left his master behind.

The Japanese were so touched by this faithful companion that they erected a statue of the dog here to commemorate his loyalty. Now Japanese youth use the statue as a meeting place to find each other in this busiest of corners.

After meeting up at Hachiko ourselves, we did some shopping in Shibuya. Tokyo is home of the megastores, where you travel through story upon story to find anything your heart could desire. We also did some shopping a Tokyu Hands, the world's most comprehensive hardware store, and Mandarake, a subterranean dungeon full of all your anime, manga and video gaming requirements.

After all of that shopping, we needed to make sure to have a really good dinner. We chose Toriyoshi Dining. Toriyoshi Dining is an upscale, more romantic version of a yakitori pub. The lighting is dim and amber and the subterranean dining room is arty, classy and artfully arranged to seat dating couples or old friends ready for a long catching up session, while larger and rowdier groups are tucked away in semi-private rooms. As you walk down into the room, signs proudly proclaim the origins of the special charcoal used to grill the chicken.


We started out with an order of what the restaurant is famous for: chicken wings. These things are deadly. Crispy-crunchy and savory, these are as addictive as any bag of potato chips.


This is chicken skin. Just skin. I always thought that the skin was my favorite part of the chicken, but now that I have eaten it all by itself, I think that skin is better when it comes with the chicken. The chicken skin skewer was good, but a little too much by itself. It needed the sobering factor of the corresponding meat to balance it out.


And this? This is my dream. This is cheese wrapped in bacon. It was like salty oozy heaven and I had to shed a little tear when it was gone. Bacon and cheese are my favorite and I've often secretly longed to eat just a pile of the two without any pesky other ingredients getting in the way. My wish finally came true!

After our post-dinner stroll, we stopped in our hotel 7-11 to pick out some dessert. After perusing all of the selections on offer and discarding them as either too much or too heavy, or just no quite what I was looking for, my eyes settled on this lovely and feminine specially flavored Kit-Kat.

Yeah, it's a peach Kit-Kat. Can you imagine? Who could have thought of such a thing? I couldn't imagine what a peach Kit-Kat would taste like, so it seemed obvious that I had to find out.

The Kit-Kat was an interesting marbled color of light peach and brown. It looked like either a rock or a tiger. However, it was yummy. It really tasted like peach. And you might wonder if a peach flavored chocolate wold be good, especially with a wafer in the center. Well, it is.


Jason got this waffle/ice cream concoction. I'm pretty sure it was delicious, since he ate it all.

Comments

AK said…
Tiger kit-kats, rrrraarrrr! I've seen Man Pocky at Japanese stores, what's that all about? I love crispy chicken skin but all by itself would be interesting...
Jeremy said…
KT -- the whole trip sounds amazing; sorry I'm not commenting on them, but I am surely enjoying reading them (I don't have much to add besides "that looks cool" or "yummy.")
Unknown said…
I know about that dog from a news report, waht a cool story!
I'm so envious of your trip, I bet you are having the best time ever.
Chubbypanda said…
The doggy statue always makes me tear up. So sad! I had a friend who used to use that train station frequently. Whenever she passed by the statue, she'd always give it a pat. I don't think there's a human anywhere who wouldn't be touched by that dog's loyalty.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta