Skip to main content

MARKET: Melrose Place Farmer's Market, Weekend of May 13, 2007

Oh man ... I can't believe it's been a week since my last post. There's been kind of a lot going on lately and it's been hard to get motivated to write about what I'm eating or whatever.

But at the same time, it's a lovely time to be eating. Spring is evolving gently into summer and things are growing and ripening everywhere. And I've been getting in the mood to really go to the farmer's market again. I must admit I am a sporadic attendee when the weather is colder and the stalls are mostly sporting hearty greens and knobbly root vegetables. But when the weather is nice and the tables are filled to overflowing with juicy fruits and berries, I am very enthusiastic to go to the market.

So I recently made my first foray of the season back to my most local market. It was really nice to go back to my mellow market on the quiet side street and check out what I could find. Unlike some other small markets, here you can always find something unique or interesting. This day was no exception and I found a couple of unusual fruits and a fun new vendor. But first, the standard:


Asparagus:

Season

Asparagus has a long season, beginning in Mid-February and continuing through September, but they are best in the springtime months of March, April and May, then tapering off into June until the smaller harvest of September and October.

Nutrition/Karma

Asparagus is very good for you. It is low in sodium and calories and high in vitamin C, B6 and potassium. It also contains compounds that fight cancer and strengthen the blood vessels. California produces 70-80% of the nation's supply of asparagus, so there's a good chance you're buying local every time you purchase fresh asparagus.

History

The word asparagus simply means "sprout" or "shoot." The plant is a part of the lily family. Cultivation likely began with the Greeks and Romans who ate it both fresh and dried, in the winter. Asparagus came to western Europe in the 16th century and from there to America, where California farmers began to grow it in 1852.

Selecting

When selecting your asparagus, you want it to be bright green, with firm tips and tender skin. The bottom is always going to be a little woody and tough, so look for ones where that woodiness hasn't advanced too far. Store it standing up in your fridge with the bottoms in just a little bit of water.

Cooking

There are many ways to cook asparagus, but my favorite preparation is simply to steam them. I like to put a pat of butter in the boiling water and then let the asparagus steam for about 5 minutes. The asparagus should be bright green and tender. If not, then let it steam some more. Then you can either eat it plain with just some sea salt and pepper, or with a little good olive oil and some citrus, or with sesame oil and white and black sesame seeds sprinkled over the top. All of these are things that require little to no extra ingredients and you get a tasty side dish.

Gala Apples: Gala apples are sweet and mild, and in California are available almost year round.

Ya Pears: Ya pears are a variety of Asian pears, but slightly less round and less sweet. They are crisp and have a bit of a floral flavor.

Sweet Lime: The sweet lime is a non-acid citrus fruit. It is sweet instead of sour and is used often in India, where it is called mosambi.

Finally, I noticed a new stand at the market for the warm weather. It was a stand with a fabulously graphic designed set of posters advertising "Poppies," which turned out to be homemade popsicles in flavors ranging from cocoa and strawberry to alfalfa, pico de gallo and hibiscus.

I sampled a strawberry which was creamier than the other flavors but still obviously made from real strawberries, and a pico de gallo which turned out to be a refreshing combination of orange juice, jicama, and cucumber. But the one I purchased was the hibiscus which was juicy, and not too sweet. It tasted just like the jamaica agua fresca at the taco stand. Yum!

Dogs like Poppies too (click to embiggen) :



They said they planned on being there with their Poppies all summer long, so I definitely have a reason to go back - as if I need one.

Comments

Allison said…
at first glance i read "poopies" but poppies sounds much better. what great flavors, i've got to try the pico de gallo!
KT said…
Poopies = no.

I would really have to question the marketing person on that one.

Luckily, these guys went with the more appetizing "Poppies"
Chubbypanda said…
Blanching is good too. For some reason, the now classic Taiwanese way of eating asparagus is lightly blanched so that they're still a little crunchy, with a dab of Japanese mayonnaise on the side.
KT said…
Yum! That sounds good to me ...
Mx said…
Hey Kt....Konnichiwa....

long time....no comment

but chubbypanda's japanese mayonnaise and crunchy blanched asparagus....wow..memories

reminded me of a Kyoto Picnic in 1989 I remember a charming box lunch wrapped in a silk scraf, inside something crunchy w/kewpie japanese mayonnaise and sushi hmmmmm....

I remember the Path of a Thousand Temples, I remember the Ichi-ban Walk... beautiful

but I don't remember the name of the asshat I was married too and was accompanying me at the time :(
Unknown said…
Your ya pear has a yarmulke!

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta