Skip to main content

RECIPE: Pickled Carrots


I have to admit that I have some romantic notions about country farmhouses and Western european peasants. I sometimes envision this pastoral life that's closer to Marie Antoinette's Petite Hameau than to any actual reality. But this romantic vision gives me an enthusiasm for making anything that reminds me of country kitchens and old world root cellars - pickles, preserves, crusty loaves of bread, and soups full of herbs in little bundle. Whenever I see these kind of recipes, I have to make them, while daydreaming that I have a large kitchen in a cottage somewhere and a little larder full of neatly labelled jars .

That's nowhere near the truth, but it's still fun to pretend for a minute.


So of course when I saw a recipe in Fine Cooking for pickled carrots, I had to make them. First of all, they looked delicious. Second of all, they'll keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks, so I could make a purchased bunch of carrots last.

I am also a new pickle enthusiast. For most of my life "pickles" to me meant pickled cucumbers. The kind of pickle you get tossed on the side of your deli sandwich, and I have to say I have never liked them. First of all, I like fresh crispy cucumbers, with their delicate, pale green flavor, so I feel like they are kind of ruined by the pickling. But the worst thing to me about these typical pickles is that they smell different from how they taste. I actually love the vinegary smell, and I always feel a little betrayed by the taste, which doesn't quite live up to the promise of the fragrance.

I have since discovered that there's a wide world of pickles out there made from many different types of fruits and vegetables and that lots of them are really good. My carrots turned out very vinegary and a bit sweet. They make a nice side dish for a sandwich. I've also julienned them and thrown them in a salad. No need for dressing then! They would also probably be good in a rice dish or as a side to soup.


BABY CARROTS PICKLED in CHAMPAGNE & SHERRY VINEGAR:

Ingredients:
  • Kosher salt
  • 3/4 lb. baby carrots with their tops on (18 to 20 carrots, about 6 inches long and 1/2 inch thick at the wide end)
  • 2 Tbs. whole coriander seeds
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 1/4 cups honey
  • 1 cup Champagne vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
Directions:

1. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Fill a large bowl with ice water.

2. Meanwhile, peel the baby carrots and remove all but about 1/2 inch of the green stems. Boil the carrots until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Immediately drain the carrots and then immerse them in the bowl of ice water.

3. In a small saucepan, toast the coriander seeds over medium heat just until they become fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the white wine and boil until reduced to about 1/4 cup, 6 to 10 minutes.

4. In a medium saucepan, heat the honey over medium-high heat until it bubbles, about 3 minutes. Add the Champagne and sherry vinegars, and then the coriander and wine mixture; simmer for 5 minutes--watch carefully and reduce the heat as necessary to prevent a boil-over.

5. Arrange the carrots upright in a clean 1-qt. canning jar or other nonreactive container, and pour the honey mixture over the carrots. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably 24 hours before serving the pickles. They will keep, refrigerated, for 2 to 3 weeks.

And these last pictures have nothing to do with food, it's just free cuteness. Puppy sleeping in the afternoon sun.

Comments

Erin S. said…
Good idea...they sound tasty.

I've enjoyed all your reports from Japan by the way.
Unknown said…
Ooooo... pickled carrots. I heart these already!
Anonymous said…
interesting... must try this! thks for posting :) cheers

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

RECIPE: Serious Eats' Foolproof Pan Pizza

It was love at first sight ... the second I saw J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Foolproof Pan Pizza recipe ,I was twitterpated. I was definitely going to try to make this and see if it was really proof against this fool. Overall, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but when it comes to trying out new recipes, usually if there's a way I can totally mess it up, I will. Even if I get the actual process right, chances are I'll do something like try to check if the bottom's cooked while the pie is still in the pan and dump the pie all over the kitchen. :( (True story). Well, happy to say Mr. L-A has done it again. You could do worse than compile all his recipes and just use them as your cookbook. He takes a thorough and scientific approach to cooking but also has a way of translating it all for the casual home cook. The recipe was seriously easy - there is a lot of waiting time but very little active effort to expend. It's pretty much just mix the dough, let it rise, mak

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a