Skip to main content

EVENT: Bloggers and Beer


Okay, so I have discovered something good about being a "blogger." Most of the time I'm kind of embarassed to admit I have a blog, given how often I've heard about how bloggers are just any hack with a keyboard and an agenda to ruin a restaurant or whatever. But I don't think I am a hack, and I don't have an agenda. This blog is kind of like a school notebook for me, where I keep track of what I've been doing and learning. No one else has to read it, but it's cool when they do. I especially like when people add to my posts with extra tidbits of information, and of course I like it if people ever tell me I am awesome.

But I never expected to actually get perks out of it. I'm not the type of person to be relied on to review a product that you send me (ask the marketing survey people!) and I don't expect someone to beg me to quit my job and write my blog full time for a sweet salary, or write the next hit food book or whatever.

But I have discovered that sometimes, if you're nice, you'll get invited to special events. I attended my first one last night: Bloggers and Beer, at the Library Bar downtown. I often have to attend continuing education classes is the nearby Sheraton and many times recently as I have wandered over to Wolfgang Puck's Gourmet Express or to Loose Leaf, I have slowed down slightly as I passed the Library Bar and wistfully lingered over their happy hour menu before deciding that as boring as the seminar may be, I'm still not allowed duck out for a quick drink in the middle of it.

But last night I finally got to go, and even better, Christina Perozzi, beer sommelier and blogger herself (Beer 4 Chx) was on hand to offer us a fantastic flight of eight (no wait! Nine!) beers.


I am afraid that after the ninth beer, I didn't have the presence of mind to slip my tasting notes in my purse and they spent the night at the bar instead. Luckily, I can reconstruct the list because some of my fellow bloggers are quicker on the draw than I am.

Here are the beers:

  1. Craftsman 1903 Prohibition Lager: This is brewed in Pasadena, and is very light. It was kind of "meh" to me compared to some of the beers to follow, as it didn't have much flavor other than regular beer flavor (I guess malt, hops?) but was nice to start.

  2. Unibroue Blanche de Chambly: This is a Canadian beer in a Belgian style. I love Belgian beers. I love how they are light but strong and I love the interesting flavors you can get in them. This one was very light, almost more like a German weissbeer. I liked this one but it didn't leave much of an impression, like the first one.

  3. Brasserie Dupont Saison: A saison is a type of pale ale brewed in Wallonia, the French-speaking region of Belgium. These beers are artisanal - produced on small farms. They are actually fermented in a way that is similar to wine fermentation, which gives them a unique quality. This is where things started to get interesting. This is an actual Belgian beer, and you can definitely tell the difference. You can distinctly taste other flavors in this beer, a little citrus and a little spice.

  4. Unibroue Maudite: This is a strong beer, from Canada. This is a beer that can actually be aged. The flavor of this beer was amazing. It was very complex, with underlying herbal flavors. I think this was my favorite of the night, although I can't really pick a favorite between this and the Saison.

  5. Deschutes Brewery Inversion IPA: This is a version of India Pale Ale that's made in Oregon. I have to admit I have never tried IPAs before, but my husband says that he normally doesn't like them and he liked this one a lot. IPAs are bitter beers, and this one has an intense flavor, but it also has distinct currents of fruit and spice that make it tasty.

  6. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter:: This was definitely the most memorable beer of the night for me. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. This was a very dark beer and it had a strange flavor to me. It was very earthy and even tasted a bit like ash to me. I don't know that I liked it, but it was interesting enough that I can't hate it.

  7. Flying Dog Road Dog Porter: Whew! This is about where I started to get really exhausted. Tasting beers is hard work! Okay, so mostly what I remember about this beer is that Hunter S. Thompson had something to do with it and it had a correspondingly trippy label. I'm afraid my tasting capabilities were starting to go downhill due to my lack of using the spit bucket.

  8. Brouwerij Westmalle Trappist Tripel: Okay, while the details are getting fuzzy, I remember that I did like this one quite a lot. This beer is made by monks, so you know it has to be good. When first brewed, the tripel was called "superbier." It's got a high alcohol content, for one - 9.5% and has the light effervescent flavor that says Belgian beer to me.

  9. Quelque Chose: This was the secret special ninth beer that I wasn't expecting. But in the interest of full reportage, I had to try it too. This beer is also made by Unibroue (which, I am 12, because the name always makes me laugh. Unibrow!). It is very very cherry. It almost tastes like juice and not like beer at all. It demands a chocolate dessert, so it was kind of sad that I didn't have one.

So I had a really good time at the event. I like the vibe at the Library Bar - it's dark and cozy and really looks like someone's library in parts. If I lived near it, I would be there all the time.
And it was fun seeing all the bloggers, even if I was too shy to go meet everyone. I wanted to try to talk to people, but I'm pretty bad at that, so I hunkered down at the bar with my man and Erin and just kind of stayed there. I did get to meet Caroline on Crack briefly, and Nancy from Slife PR, and Tannaz, who all happened to be in my general vicinity. I also saw Pat Saperstein, whose blog was one of the first blogs I ever read, but I was too shy to say anything, because she seems famous to me, even though she's just a cool lady. Maybe next time ...

So if there's another blogger event sometime, and you happen to notice I am there, please do come talk to me. I'm a social cripple, but once someone breaks the ice I'll never shut up.

The Library Bar
630 West 6th St.,
Suite 116-A
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(At 6th and Hope)

Comments

Aubrey said…
What an honor! Free food or drink of any sort is great if it's not bad and sounds to me that 1) you had a wonderful time and 2) you might actually go back. What a cool freaking hookup!
KT said…
Definitely an honor, and I was amazed but happy to be included. Especially as it felt more like a happy hour just for us, than someone doing a hard sell on their place. They let the bar speak for itself so I didn't feel pressured to write anything in particular on my blog.

I'm a happy camper, and I'm not usually one to respond to solicitations, but this one was very cool.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta