Skip to main content

INFO: Mangoes 101


Mangoes are a tropical fruit, originating in India, where they were considered sacred. They come from an Asian tree called Mangifera indica. This tree is distantly related to cashews and pistachios and has been cultivated for thousands of years.

California is now a large producer of mangoes, so we are lucky enough to be able to find locally grown mangoes here.

Mangoes come into season in the spring and stick around until early fall. When purchasing, look for pieces with unblemished, yellow skin with a slight blush of red. A larger mango will have a better fruit-to-seed ratio. If you can only find green fruits, place the mangoes in a paper bag at room temperature and it will ripen, continuing to sweeten and soften from the seed outwards. Ripe mangoes can be stored in the fridge in a plastic bag for up to five days.
On the outside, mangoes start out green and gradually transform to a brilliant yellow and red as the fruit ripens. Inside, they are bright yellow-orange and extremely juicy. Mangoes contain some of the same flavor compounds as peaches and coconuts, and are both sweet and tart to taste.

The bane of all mango-eaters, though, is the large flat seed that makes the fruit difficult to cut up. One must find their sharpest knife and then artfully carve away to attempt to capture the most fruit. Recently, some genius has invented a tool specifically to cut mangoes. While Alton Brown may scoff at this "unitasker," the consensus seem to be that some find it a godsend, while others find it turns their perfectly ripe mangoes into mush.


Mangoes are so delicious, that it's hard not to just go ahead and eat them as they are with no preparation besides peeling and cutting. Ripe mangoes go great in fruit salads and they are also a common chutney ingredient. Ripe mangoes can be made into nectar, pureed or dried. One of my favorite snacks is dried mango covered in chile powder and sugar from a fruit stand in the Farmer's Market. I was not sure whether I would like this or not, but turns out that it is my crack. If I buy a bag, it's gone probably much more quickly than is really healthy.

Green mangoes are also often used in cuisine either by being pickled or dried and ground into a powder called amchur. Mango pickles were popular in 18th century England and are still popular today in Hawaii. Green mangoes are also used fresh in vegetable or lentil dishes and can be used to tenderize meat.

You can also throw mango in a salad for a refreshing hot weekend lunch if you want to feel a little tropical.

MANGO and AVOCADO SALAD w/ PEANUT DRESSING: This is a lazy person's version of a recipe from Bon Appetit. A Sandra Lee version if you will, since there's no making of anything involved. For my harried worknight version of this salad, I threw some mixed greens on a plate, artfully (I think, anyway) arranged slices of one avocado and one mango (both small) and drizzled a store bought peanut dressing over. I was even too lazy to chop my peanuts, so I just sprinkled whole ones over.

SOURCES:

On Food and Cooking, by Harold McGee
The Food Lover's Companion

Comments

Pooja said…
Hi there,
i came here from technorati.
just a request, if you are using some link to my post, do let me know about that.its all because i dont want to miss a good blog like you have. its just technorati brought me here, otherwise i think i might have missed something good to read/know about.
thanks
-Pooja
Unknown said…
mangoes are my favorite fruit! thanks for the insights.
Jeremy said…
Your hands and feet are mangos
You're gonna be a genius anyway

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta