Skip to main content

RECIPE: Salad Dressings

I know you saw my last post about summertime and eating salads. Right? RIGHT?

Well, it's all very well to make fancy salads, but to be perfectly honest, most of the time my salads are as plain as can be. Just whatever greens I have, combined with whatever else I have to throw in: nuts, dried fruit, caramelized ginger, spare vegetables, and sometimes even just the greens.

In that case, it's good to have some dressings on hand to add some variety when all you have are a week's worth of greens and the a bag of slivered almonds. Luckily for me, Food & Wine recently featured three simple recipes for basic salad dressings that are completely easy to make, and easy to improvise, so that if you anticipate eating several salads in the near future, you can have enough on hand to get you through the next few days of salad-eating.

I know this post isn't the most entertaining, but it's fairly useful, so check out the following salad dressing recipes while I try to get my groove back. Life has not exactly been easy the past few weeks and that does something to a girl's creative juices.


DIJON VINAIGRETTE:
  • 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
In a small bowl, whisk the sherry vinegar with the shallot and Dijon mustard. In a thin, steady stream, whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.

BUTTERMILK DRESSING:
  • 1 small garlic clove, smashed
  • salt
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • freshly ground pepper
Sprinkle the garlic with a pinch of salt and mash to a paste. In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, sour cream, mayonnaise and vinegar. Whisk in the buttermilk and season with pepper.



GINGER DRESSING:

  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
In a blender, puree the ginger, shallot, vinegar, mayonnaise and soy sauce. With the machine on, add the vegetable oil and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Comments

Yes, my dear, I saw you previous post on the bean/orange/olive salad and yes, I too am into new salad dressings right now. I love the ginger dressing idea (sans the mayo though). And, I like the subtle change to the blog (font?). Something is nifty anyway. The pink/black scheme almost looks neon this way.
KT said…
Thanks! The blog makeover is due to the fact that after a really long time of stubbornly clinging to my original template, I finally switched over to the new Blogger template customization regime, which entailed some reconfiguring.

I did switch to Courier font, because I felt like it looked better with the new way I did my blog.

The mayo in the ginger dressing is not that noticeable, I think it just adds a bit of texture, but I think it would be fine without.
I have a freakish aversion to mayo--it's not your recipe! :)

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta