Skip to main content

RECIPE: Cheesecake Brownies--Happy Birthday Baby!

Something you may not yet know about me is that July is my birthday month. Officially, I just turned 21. I can legally drink now! Unofficially, that might not be entirely accurate.

Being born in July means I am a Cancer. Cancer is a crab and according to astrology, that means I am kind, nurturing, imaginative and sympathetic. On the other hand, I am also moody, hypersensitive, depressed, and clingy. Sweet. Aren't you glad you married that, honey?

Being a Cancer, I supposedly also gravitate toward other Cancers. Now, I've never been big on astrology. I'm not sure I believe that a star and planet can control my life, but it is a fact that I have a few friends who are celebrating birthdays this month, including my sassy ex-coworker Milla.


I only sort of met Milla at first. She and I shared a computer at the company we worked for in San Francisco. She was night shift and I was day. All I knew of her at first was that she had drink label stuck on the computer that said "Big Cran" so I always pictured this voluptuous redhead - which turned out to be pretty accurate.

Soon she moved down south, and then I moved down south and we ended up down the street from each other. Now we've been here several years and have graced numerous occasions at each other's houses, even though she's moved all the way up like, several more blocks, which is really far for me.

Milla throws a good party, so I look forward to her birthday every year. My contribution is to find some delicious dessert to make for her to repay her for all of the alcohol I am about to consume at her party.

This year I chose to make cheesecake brownies. Not only were they pretty and marbly, but I couldn't say it better than the recipe itself, which said: "The only bad thing about cheesecake and brownies is that when you eat one, you are not eating the other." So these allow you to eat both.

In making them I used this chocolate I found that is great for baking. It is called Endangered Species Chocolate. 10% of their profits go toward helping protect endangered species. The baking chocolate is an 88% cocoa content dark chocolate that comes in rounds of three ounces apiece, with each round scored into thirds so you can easily break off the amount in ounces that you need.

Milla's Birthday Cheesecake Brownies (from Gourmet, June 2007)

INGREDIENTS - BROWNIE BATTER:
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour
INGREDIENTS - CHEESECAKE BATTER
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, well softened
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350.

2. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.

3. Heat butter and chocolate in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, whisking occasionally, just until melted.

4. Remove from heat and whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla, and a pinch of salt until well combined.

5. Whisk in flour until just combined and spread in baking pan.

6. Whisk together cheesecake batter ingredients until smooth.

7. Dollop over brownie batter and then swirl in until it's mixed in a marble pattern.

8. Bake until edges are slightly puffed and center is just set, about 35 min. (Mine only took 30)

9. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Comments

Mx said…
Happy Birthday KT! Hope it was a good one. Let's see..... if you, are 21 then I am.........still old.
tomorrow is Rick's Bday. He is going to cash in his coldstone gift card from you.know.who.

Cancers are the most honest people I know... you and Rick are proof of that
birthday hugs to you!
A.S.
2nd-favorite said…
Happy Birthday. Those brownies look obscene. FF is baking like a mad woman right now, probably in a sugar/chocolate craze inspired by these photos.
I got so excited when I saw endangered species chocolate. I thought maybe it was made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
KT said…
madame x: Thanks for the birthday wishes! I can't wait to get my present at Thanksgiving! Please say happy birthday to Uncle Ricky and wish him lots of ice cream for me!

2nd-favorite: The brownies were kind of obscene, I have to admit. I ate one and felt like I had had my fat ration for the week. But on birthdays those things don't count. Luckily I have delicious birthday cookies to keep me in desserts this week!

As for the endangered species chocolate, it wasn't listed WHAT species. I personally was hoping for panda but I guess it's just a mix.
Erin S. said…
Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry I missed your party. If I pretend it's my birthday, will you make me brownies too????
KT said…
Well, it may be possible that you are having some other special occasion in the near future ... such as a going-away. In which case, it's only fair that you get brownies.
They look lovely! My Mom is a Cancer and she's totally a good egg. Cancers are loving, giving, respectful, giving, attractive, giving, intelligent and giving. Oh yeah, my birthday was in May so it was like yesterday. *waiting*
Milla said…
cancers are the greatest sign of the whole zodiac -- maybe even the entire neverending universe! and i'm being totally objective.

thanks for the birthday brownies, KT. they were as yummy as they look, like all your treats are. can't wait to see what you cook up next year.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta