Skip to main content

COCKTAIL: Barbados 75


I'm back, y'all. I have a new keyboard (and new keyboard protector!) and a whole shiny new topcase. Now no matter how far the beverage flies, it's not going to get my keyboard.

So as my returning post, I'm going to discuss the offending beverage that killed my "A" through "L" keys. Let this be both an inspiration and a warning to you all.

It all started when I found this intriguing bottle in the kitchen of something called "Velvet Falernum" and decided I MUST have a drink made out of it. The origin of Falernum is debatable, and I'm not even going to repeat the embarrassing story that's claimed on this particular brand's website. It seems clear, however, that falernum is a flavored syrup used in Caribbean drinks that may be alcoholic or non-alcoholic. The "falernum" is derived from the name of an ancient Roman wine.

I was completely drawn to the name - Velvet Falernum. It sounds like an alchemist's potion, or something out of a fantasy novel, or perhaps lurking in the dusty cabinets of Miss Havisham.

So I forced my husband to make me a cocktail with it, since he is, as you may not yet know, a kind of modern day alchemist and I often call upon him to make drinks for my relaxing or celebratory pleasure.

The other factor in my need for this drink had to do with the temperature. This was during the recent heat wave, and it was outrageously warm. We've got no air conditioning and at one point my bedroom clock was telling me it was 93 degrees ... inside. So it was imperative each evening to sit out on the porch and have a cool drink.

Since Velvet Falernum comes from the land of rum, cane sugar, and limes as well as the land of Caribbean sun, it seemed like the perfect time to make a drink with it.

In honor of the summery weather, my mysterious and handsome alchemist made me a Barbados 75. As shotgun-celebratory as a French 75, with an exotic island twist, perfect for sweltering evenings on the porch.

Unfortunately, while one of these is a refreshing starter to your evening. A second dose has some side-effects. Most notably grand gesticulations while telling your equally grand stories, which can lead to disaster. Please drink responsibly!

BARBADOS 75

  • 1.5 oz gin
  • .75 oz lemon juice
  • .5 oz Velvet Falernum
  • 4 oz Sparkling wine - blanc de noirs
Shake gin, lemon juice, and Velvet Falernum with ice. Strain into a champagne flute. Fill with champagne.

Comments

dhp said…
sounds yummy. i wonder if it's named after a tourist t-shirt from barbados in '75. remember those? I had an oversized baseball-style t-shirt that said "Hawaii 85." My best friend, completely unprovoked, pummeled me with rotten plums while I was wearing it. He's no longer my best friend; he's my only enemy--not because he ruined my shirt, but because I dated his ex. Kinda sad.
KT said…
Hee hee! It's named after a gun.

Did everyone have one of those Hawaii 85 shirts? My brother had one too.
Chubbypanda said…
Lol. I must have a dirty mind. It sounds like something else entirely to me.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta