Skip to main content

LOS ANGELES: Hidden Los Angeles Part 7c - Tracy's Picks

Tracy's last set of picks take us to the outdoors. Because yes, Los Angeles is urban, but we have great weather most of the time, and we also have ways to enjoy it. Check it out:

OUTDOORS


Serra Retreat Center: Tracy went here for a retreat when she was teaching at a Catholic school, but you do not have to be Catholic to come here. All you need to be is respectful, and you can enjoy the beautiful, serene gardens and amazing ocean view.

Serra Retreat began its life as a family home, and was sold to the Franciscans in 1942. The retreat welcomes group and individuals to its grounds for use as an oasis in the middle of city life. You can wander quietly through scenic walks and gardens and wander over trails and contemplate all of the things you normally don't have time to think about.

Serra Retreat Center
3401 Serra Road
Malibu, CA 90265
(310) 456-6631


Six Man Tournament: This is pretty uniquely Los Angeles. Held in Manhattan Beach, the Six Man Tournament is an all-day, all-night tournaments where players from the best-of-the-best to just whoever, dress up in costumes and go to war on the beach volleyball court. The teams are male and female, many in swimsuits, so there is eye candy for everyone.

Don't believe me? Look at LAist's photo essay, linked above. Get there early, grab a beer and enjoy the sports and the spectacle. The event is part of PubClub's annual Surfest event, so you must be warned that it is also a non-stop drunken party. So come prepared with whatever armor and frat-repellent you need if you are going to brave it, and you're older than 23. The event is held the first weekend of August, so look out for it this year.

Bike/Pub Crawl From Santa Monica to South Bay: I'm going to take Tracy's word on it that this is fun. I haven't been on a bike since a beer-soaked ride through Munich over ten years ago now. I'm not sure what would happen if I got on one now. They say you never forget how to ride a bike, but I'm not so sure. I'm not so good with the two-wheeled vehicles.

But she has done it, so it can be done. Basically, you rent bikes from Perry's Cafe (multiple locations down the boardwalk--they will also come pick the bikes up later if you rent enough of them, so it can be a one-way journey) then you start riding them down the bike path. Tracy has created a route for you marked by bars to stop at that will allow you to drink your way all the way down to Manhattan Beach. It is as follows:
  • Big Dean's (1615 Ocean Front Walk, Santa Monica)
  • On the Waterfront Cafe (205 Ocean Front Walk, Venice)
  • Baja Cantina (311 Washington Blvd, Marina Del Rey)
  • The Shack (185 Culver Blvd, Playa Del Rey)
  • Sharkees (3801 Highland Avenue, Manhattan Beach)
  • Hennessey's (313 Manhattan Beach Blvd, Manhattan Beach)
  • Poopdeck (1272 The Strand, Hermosa Beach)
You won't catch me on that trail. I prefer to exercise while remaining on the ground. But it sounds like a lot of fun if you like bikes, and you can burn off your beers while biking from place to place.

Perry's locations:

2400 Ocean Front Walk
2600 Ocean Front Walk
930 Pacific Coast Highway
1200 Pacific Coast Highway

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta