Skip to main content

RECIPE: Cranberry-Maple Granola


I know, it's been ages since I've posted a cooking thing. What kind of a Gastronomy 101 student am I? I have been cooking some stuff, but it's just everyday dinner-type stuff that I don't think to take time to photograph or pay attention to what I'm doing, so as to tell someone else how to do it.

But now that I'm working from home, I've realized that I actually can take a break to cook sometimes. One of the easiest things you can make is granola. It's mostly a matter of mixing some things together in a bowl, and then sticking them in a low oven to bake a little. And you can create whatever variations your clever little brain can think of.

The basic granola ingredients are oats, brown sugar, and egg whites. After that, you add whatever fruits, nuts, spices and flavors you can think of.

This particular granola that I made is adapted from the November issue of Bon Appetit. I think there was a last minute change in the recipe that led to a mistake. The yield indicates 8 cups, but the ingredients only add up to 4-5 cups. I think the cooking instructions were written for a larger yield and so if you followed the instructions, you would end up burning the granola. The comments posted to the recipe indicate that most people who followed the instructions ended up with burned granola, so I can safely say my wonky oven isn't entirely to blame. So I will present the recipe as I ended up making it, with the caveat that you're going to have to just watch the baking time to see when the right time to turn it over is.

The resulting cereal makes a hearty breakfast treat. Keep it in an airtight container and enjoy it with milk, yogurt, and/or fresh fruit. You can also try changing up the spices, the nuts, adding a different fruit, or honey instead of syrup, if you want a different flavor.

CRANBERRY MAPLE GRANOLA
(Makes ~5 cups)
  • Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground allspice
  • 3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup walnut pieces
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
1. Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 325° F.

2. Generously coat a heavy large rimmed baking sheet with non-stick spray.

3. Stir 1/2 cup brown sugar and maple syrup in a heavy saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Pour mixture into a large bowl and cool to lukewarm. Whisk in egg whites, vanilla extract, and spices. Add oats, nuts, and remaining brown sugar, then toss well.

4. Spread the mixture in one even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes, watching for the bottom to turn slightly brown. Using a spatula, turn the granola over. Move the sheet to the top oven rack and bake another 5-10 minutes, depending on how brown it was when you turned it over. Add the cranberries and continue to bake until dry, about 5-10 minutes longer.

5. Cool granola completely in pan, then transfer to an airtight container.

Comments

Phil said…
as a runner this looks an excellent recipe - I shall pass it on in the hope that someone makes some for me to try!

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

LA.FOODBLOGGING: Groundworks Coffee

Our local foodblogging establishment, la.foodblogging , has seen fit to allow me to contribute. From now on most of my Los Angeles centered posts will be done there, and linked to from here, in order to avoid duplication. My first post is on my morningtime friend, Groundwork Coffee (as promised to Jeremy and my sweet Auntie). You can read it here: I'll Have the Works . Tags: LA.FOODBLOGGING