Skip to main content

WINE: Keeping Your Wine Happy In an Apartment


Guys, I know I have not been posting to this blog much recently. At the moment I am not only doing work that involves writing about food and the foodservice industry all day, but I am also taking a food writing class. Between the two of these things, the thought of also writing about food on my blog on a daily basis is just exhausting.

I still plan to keep it up however, as I've been gathering up posts. It just won't be as frequent. The best way to be updated when I write something is join my RSS feed on the side there. Then you can just check for updates there and not have to keep looking here disappointedly as I know y'all are doing. (Refresh! Refresh! ... damn, still no new post!)

But an exciting thing that's happening is that I'm getting very close to the end of my wine book. I am in the final section now. How exciting! Now we are learning about how to collect and keep wines. If you decide you want to become a collector, then you will probably be keeping your wines for a while. They never last long in our house, but I am generous, so I'll still tell you to store them for maximum enjoyment if you live in a small apartment.

If you do not have a place that naturally works to store your wine, nor can afford to pay to store your wine, and most importantly, would like it easily accessible, consider a wine cave. Wine caves are self-contained, refrigerated units that you plug into an electrical outlet.

There are various designs and surely you can find one to fit in your living space. They come in small sizes, or as large as 2,800 bottles (for those of you in penthouses). They range in price from budget to luxury as well.

Where to find a wine cellar? Consider the following:

Haier: Haier makes perfect wine storage options for apartment dwellers. They have units as small as 8 bottle capacity that can fit on a countertop. They also have larger units going up to 102 bottle capacity. They have some that are ultra-silent and some that have varying degrees of control over temperature. Prices range from $80 - $700.

Vinotemp: Vinotemp has a bunch of options - They have fancy to functional, and designs that can be modern or vintage in style. They also worth a check for any alcohol connoisseur as they have various beverage related gadgets, like beer dispensers and shot chillers.

Cuisinart: If you 've already got a Cuisinart kitchen, why not get your wine cellar to match? Cuisinart has a couple of small countertop wine cellars between $100-$200. These are not for the big collector, but for those who just want to keep a few quality bottles of wine at an optimum temperature, ready for a special occasion.

Kitchenaid: If you have a little more money to spend, how about Kitchenaid? They have a fancy "Architect Series" of handsome undercounter cellars in wood or chrome. They can be freestanding or installed if you're able to alter your kitchen. They cost between $1000-$2000.


Comments

Erinn Shell said…
I love your tips.
I love wine, and keep alot of it, but buying something especially for my wine seems like I'm stating to the world I'm some kind of expert! Yikes, the pressure. :)
You've given me food for thought.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta