Skip to main content

NEWS: Michelin Stars 2009 Announced


In a press luncheon at Gordon Ramsay at the London today, Jean-Luc Naret and Michelin revealed the 2009 Los Angeles and Las Vegas guides hot off the presses. The guides go on sale tomorrow with this year's restaurant and hotel listings and the coveted star awards. So what about all the stuff you really want to know?

1. Still no three star restaurants in Los Angeles: Los Angeles still doesn't make it to the world stage with any three star restaurants. I am not surprised at this, really, nor am I that sad. Los Angeles is a town that caters to celebrities, and that means that in some of the more high-end restaurants, the focus is a little different than it is in luxury eating destinations in other cities. Any restaurant that was good enough to be a three star restaurant here would probably be inaccessible to most people, even if you wanted to save up for a special trip.

2. Providence moves up to two stars:
I was really happy to hear this announced. I love this restaurant very much and Michael Cimarusti seems like quite a nice person. Cimarusti was the most excited chef to get his call, according to Mr. Naret. He was in the car and had to be told to calm down before he got into an accident. I'm really happy for him, since he's given me some fo the best meals I have ever had. I really think he deserves it.

3. New stars: Bastide, Gordon Ramsay at the London, Hatfield's, Osteria Mozza, and Sushi Zo:
Bastide earns a star this year, despite the constant reshuffling. Gordon Ramsay gets a star despite being relatively new on the scene. Osteria Mozza gets a star and are you really surprised? I didn't think so. Hatfield's also earns a star, which is another one I think is well-deserved. Hatfield's is more of a cozy experience than high gourmet but what they do, they do very well and these are two very fine chefs who deserve the recognition.

Sushi Zo is the relative unknown. It's an unassuming strip-mall sushi place in Palms, which is of course, the sushi dilemma in Los Angeles. These places dot the landscape and you can never tell if they are hidden geniuses or just another sushi place.


4. Lost Stars: Joe's, Matsuhisa, Saddle Peak Lodge:
Not much was said about those places that dropped off the list, as one might expect. In general the attitude of Mr. Naret is that restaurants that lose stars generally either change chefs, have a too-absent chef, or lose focus while the chef concentrates on other projects. But those who lose stars can always get them back, so hopefully those who dropped out of the running this year will show us something dazzling in the next year, which can only benefit us, so let's hope they all try to earn their stars back.

5. Still no love for Suzanne Goin, what's up Michelin?:
I'm sorry, I know it's up to the inspectors, but really ... Suzanne Goin is my favorite, so I just have to say I'm going to be perpetually disappointed when she doesn't get a star.

6. Michelin's guest explorer for Los Angeles:
I also got to meet and be introduced to a new concept, the Michelin "guest explorer" Mika Takeuchi, who also has her own blog, Food Fashionista. Her task for Michelin is to explore the restaurants in the guide and write about them on her blog and on Michelin.com. On her blog, you can read about her adventures at the events the rest of us only see on Getty Images the next day, as well as her explorations for Michelin.

Comments

fashionbliss said…
Hi KT!

It was so wonderful meeting you earlier today at the Michelin Guide luncheon. I look forward to exploring some restaurants with you in Los Angeles soon. :)

Cheers,
Mika Takeuchi
Anyanka said…
Oooh! How was the luncheon?

Hasta la vista, Asanebo. We've been asaneboed for the last time.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

RECIPE: Serious Eats' Foolproof Pan Pizza

It was love at first sight ... the second I saw J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Foolproof Pan Pizza recipe ,I was twitterpated. I was definitely going to try to make this and see if it was really proof against this fool. Overall, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but when it comes to trying out new recipes, usually if there's a way I can totally mess it up, I will. Even if I get the actual process right, chances are I'll do something like try to check if the bottom's cooked while the pie is still in the pan and dump the pie all over the kitchen. :( (True story). Well, happy to say Mr. L-A has done it again. You could do worse than compile all his recipes and just use them as your cookbook. He takes a thorough and scientific approach to cooking but also has a way of translating it all for the casual home cook. The recipe was seriously easy - there is a lot of waiting time but very little active effort to expend. It's pretty much just mix the dough, let it rise, mak

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a