Skip to main content

NEWS: Dine LA Restaurant Week


Hey you guys! It's Restaurant Week in Los Angeles! If you have never heard of this, I encourage you to check it out. During restaurant week, local restaurants show off their goods by offering fixed price menus at reduced prices. There are three tiers of prices:

Deluxe Dining: Lunch is $16 and dinner is $28 for three courses.
Premier Dining: Lunch is $22 and dinner is $34 for three courses.
Fine Dining: Lunch is $28 and dinner is $44 for three courses.

In all cases, it is a bargain. It is a chance to revisit that old standby that you just kind of keep overlooking these days or to try a place that is normally out of your league. There are options for everyone and the menus are available online so you can see if they appeal to you. There are many vegetarian and even some vegan options for those with restrictions.

The list of participating restaurants, their price level, and menus is here: Participating Restaurants.

I always take full advantage of Restaurant Week, and it usually works out to both my and the restaurant's favor. Last year I went to Grace, and had a great experience. Grace is an investment for me so now I know that it is worth the money and am inclined to go back for a special occasion.

The other night, we tried Luna Park. I've been to Luna Park many times, but I have a tendency to forget about it, tucked away in its kind of odd location and because it's just a fun place, good for some relatively inexpensive food, cozy and dark, and just generally a good value. Eating here reminded me that it's here and an option for casual dining. I also got to see that they've added a fun thing to their cocktail menu: a "flight" of cocktails where you get three mini-versions of their cocktails to sample. The menu offered for Restaurant Week was a really good example of some of their regular menu selections and as such it's a good representation of the experience you would get if you came back on a regular night.

Next up for us is Cube. It's right down the way, but we haven't been yet. Now we can try it for a lower price to see if we want to make it one of our regular "go out" places. Also on Thursday, I'm getting an unexpected visit from my world-traveling parents who are off on their travels again so we'll be going out then as well to a location as yet unknown. I will try to report back on what I discover!

Comments

Anyanka said…
Do you think we have time to arrange an outing?

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta