Skip to main content

RECIPE: Fancy Super Bowl Snacks

I know, I know, the Super Bowl is long over. Its been a long month full of obstacles so I'll need to be cut some slack. But the Super Bowl part really isn't important. The key here is snacks to bring to an event that look sort of fancy but involve almost no cooking or hardship. It's like the American dream with a little extra glitter as well.

It's almost March Madness, I'm sure you've all got important basketball parties to attend. These snacks go just as well with basketball as they do with football. They also take very little time to make and the olives and nuts also make good snacks to just have around the house as well, even if you're a hermit like I've been for the past several weeks.

Prosciutto Wrapped Mozzarella and Basil

Take a thick slice of prosciutto and lay it out flat. Take a small piece of mozzarella cheese and a half cherry tomato and put the cut sides together so they make a ball. Wrap each ball in half of a large basil leaf. Roll the balls up in the prosciutto slice and secure with a toothpick. Repeat for as many rolls as you want to make. For vegetarians leave off the prosciutto. When they are finished, set them on a platter, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and serve.

Spiced Roasted Nuts

Preheat oven to 400º F. Spread 1 lb mixed nuts on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until they start to brown, about 10 min.

Combine 1 1/2 Tbs. light brown sugar, 2 tsp. chopped thyme, 1/2 tsp. chipotle powder, and 1 tsp. salt in a small bowl. Once roasted, transfer the nuts to a large bowl and add 2 Tbs. melted butter and toss well. Add the sugar and spice mixture and toss again. Season with a little more salt to taste and then serve warm or keep in an airtight container for up to three days.

You can play around with the spices you use on these to suit your own personal taste.


Spicy Olives

Combine 2 cups mixed olives, 6 thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes, 1 large clove of garlic, minced, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, and 1/4 tsp smoked paprika in a medium bowl. Mix well and let sit for 15 min at room temperature or up to 3 days in refrigerator before serving.

Comments

Chubbypanda said…
Oooh... You had me when you started wrapping things in smoked meat.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta