Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW: The Homemade Pantry + How to Make Butter


Last year, this was basically the one cookbook I wanted to add to my collection. It's not a collection of recipes for meals; instead it details how to make the basics that you keep around in your fridge or pantry to use in other things. This includes items like butter, cheese, granola, sauces, snacks, etc.

 I love this idea because often on my full time work schedule that often includes unexpected overtime, plus the fact that there are only two of us, meal times are typically geared towards the simple and quick meal for one or two without a lot of major meal planning going on. Baking can be an exercise in frustration when you work from home, as you are then faced with a mound of cookies or other sweets that you really shouldn't eat. You don't want them to go to waste, but there's no convenient break room to dump them in so other people will eat them for you.

Enter The Homemade Pantry, which allows me to scratch my cooking itch by whipping up staple items that I know I will use regularly. The author is Alana Chernila, a food blogger and farmer who found herself married, a mother and running a farm at an age when most of her friends were pursuing graduate degrees or urban careers. Her writing is friendly, clear and approachable. You get to know her a bit throughout the book, and the personal stories really help connect you to the food and the life she lives, but the personal stuff never takes too much attention from the information, which is rendered in a way that's clear and easy-to-follow. The book has a great visual aesthetic as well, with beautiful pictures and a layout and page design that makes everything easy to follow and read.

The beginning is filled with preparatory tips and general advice as well as a detailed list of equipment needed to prepare the things in the book. There's basically everything you need to make all of these simple items. I think this book would make an especially fantastic addition to a parent's cookbook library. Chernila is a mother of two girls and her recipes very much reflect that lifestyle, taking into account busy schedules and hectic homes. If you are feeling guilty because you wish you could fit more wholesome, homemade stuff into your child's diet but are finding time and energy are hard to come by, this is a great way to incorporate some fresh homemade things into your repertoire, and the book includes convenience items like baking mixes and frozen foods that you can make yourself instead of buying them processed and packaged from the store, as well as easy homemade snack and treat ideas that are great for kids.

Below are examples of a couple of items I made from the book, as well as a sample recipe for butter.


Paneer: This is a homemade cheese from the book. It is called ricotta in the cookbook, but it really doesn't fit the defining factor in a ricotta, which is made using fermented and recooked whey ("ricotta" means "recooked"), while this cheese is made with the curds. I would call it a paneer as it is made using basically the same process as an Indian paneer. I do not have a milk cow in my backyard like Chernila does, so I just tried to acquire the best milk I could find. The kind that comes in a real glass bottle! This particular cheese didn't require any fancy ingredients, which is why I chose it to make. It came out very fresh and mild and was delicious in a salad, in sandwiches, or just baked on a toast. There are other cheese recipes in the book, including mozzarella and cream cheese, but they require more specialized ingredients.


Butter: This is a butter I made using the book's method, which is probably about the same as other methods I have used in the past, but it's nice to be reminded of how easy and quick it is to make your own butter. Since this is about the simplest recipe in the book, I'm including it as an example. You will just have to go out and get the book yourself for more.

Butter Recipe from The Homemade Pantry
(Makes 6-8 oz. or 12-16 tablespoons)
  • 1 pint heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  1. Combine the cream and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cover with a dish towel to prevent splattering. Beat at medium to high speed, peeking in every 20 seconds or so. In 1 to 3 minutes, the cream will be whipped and airy, then it will stiffen. After that, the cream will break, and you will have both liquids and solids in the bowl. 
  2. When the fat separates from the buttermilk, pour the buttermilk into a jar and refrigerate for use within three days (you can use it to make pancakes!)
  3. Run your hands under cold water, then squeeze the butter together, kneading it in the bowl. Place the bowl in the sink, rinse the butter in cold water, and squeeze it again. Repeat this process until the water runs clear and the butter does not release any liquid when you press on it. 
STORAGE: 

Room Temperature: covered container or butter bell, 5 days
Fridge: covered container, 1 week
Freezer: roll and cut into sticks, wrap individually in plastic wrap and a freezer bag, 3 months

IMPORTANT TIP: Don't skimp on the squeezing and kneading of the butter -- if you do, the buttermilk still trapped in the butter will cause it to go rancid within a day. Keep kneading until there is no sign of cloudy buttermilk coming out of the butter.  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

RECIPE: Serious Eats' Foolproof Pan Pizza

It was love at first sight ... the second I saw J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Foolproof Pan Pizza recipe ,I was twitterpated. I was definitely going to try to make this and see if it was really proof against this fool. Overall, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but when it comes to trying out new recipes, usually if there's a way I can totally mess it up, I will. Even if I get the actual process right, chances are I'll do something like try to check if the bottom's cooked while the pie is still in the pan and dump the pie all over the kitchen. :( (True story). Well, happy to say Mr. L-A has done it again. You could do worse than compile all his recipes and just use them as your cookbook. He takes a thorough and scientific approach to cooking but also has a way of translating it all for the casual home cook. The recipe was seriously easy - there is a lot of waiting time but very little active effort to expend. It's pretty much just mix the dough, let it rise, mak

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a