Skip to main content

MISC.: Let's Play ... Guess the Next Food Trend


Okay, I started to write a post about dates that was going to be very educational and blah, blah, blah ... but I got bored just thinking about writing it. So screw it. I'm still going to do a post later about something delicious you can do with dates, since this is L.A. and dates are in plentiful abundance just now.

But today I am feeling both entrepreneurial and generous. So I'm going to talk business for a minute. I've noticed that we here in Los Angeles all seem to gravitate toward the same foods at the same time, resulting in very distinct and particular food trends, with everyone raving about the same food at the same time. Usually some kind of dessert item.

I don't know why we get so excited about particular food items and spend so much time and energy trying to obtain and consume these particular foods. Perhaps because it's a good way to kill time and is cheaper than: a movie, a cocktail, a club, or dinner. Who knows?

The most recent wave began with cupcakes . It started with cupcakes from stores that sold many foods. And then, as the craze grew in frenzy, suddenly there were shops solely dedicated to cupcakes. But as this desire for cupcakes grew, so did our bellies, hips, thighs and asses. It was inevitable that after consuming all of these delicious sugary cakes, we would need to inevitably go another, slimmer direction.

And then we discovered Pinkberry. A delicious desserty snack that is supposedly real frozen yogurt, with only 100-200 calories (not counting toppings) per serving. It also comes with a healthy dose of nostalgia for the late '80s when fro-yo was the meal of choice for young women with body issues everywhere. Now Pinkberries and pseudo-Pinkberries are everywhere and luckily, thanks to foodblogging, we even have an exact chronicle of the moment when yogurt defeated cupcakes for the foodtrendy crown.

But I say ... forget trying to keep up with the Pinkberries. A smart businessperson will be busy thinking up the next trend. Now, I am not in any hurry to be starting my own business, but I am full of fantastic ideas, so let me offer up an idea for the next big thing to some eager beaver: donuts.

I think that now that we're all filling our guts with (maybe) active probiotics to eat away that extra pudge, we will soon be ready for something indulgent again. May I offer donuts? Donuts are ripe for "trendizing," by which I mean, beefing up and making more special and gourmet so that citizens of Southern California will just HAVE to have them.

First, you have to offer different sizes: regular doughnuts for those lucky bastards with speedy metabolisms who can fully indulge in sinful sweets; baby donuts for those who love the handy ring-shape but need a smaller dose; and donut holes for an even smaller portion and mucho cuteness. You make these in exotic flavors with fresh ingredients infusing your icings and glazes. How can it fail? I even have a model for you to steal from. Just as cupcakes migrated west from Magnolia Bakery, perhaps potential donut entrepenurs can study New York's Doughnut Plant.

The final touch: you need to offer people an incentive to stay when all that sugar and fried-ness starts to catch up with them. So you offer healthy pseudo-donut alternatives, like those little fruit and nut balls that make for sweet yet healthy treats, and which aided Ms. Uma Thurman in losing 50 pounds in order to kick ass Kill Bill-style. (Can that be right? I can't imagine where Uma found 50 extra pounds on her, but since it was baby weight, I'll just accept it. But ... really? 50 pounds? She's so thin!)

There, now you have everybody taken care of, now all you need to do is get a couple of movie stars to like your donuts. Consider donating money to worthy causes and then getting someone to whisper it in the ear of a certain Ms. Jolie. Or find the thinnest, most starving looking celeb (may I suggest Nicole Ritchie? I think she's down to weighing about ... 2). Once they smell "fried," it's all over. Now sit back and count your money.

What do you think? Other ideas/guesses?

UPDATE: LA Times staff writer Betty Hallock seems to think the next big thing is actual cakes. I tend to disagree, if only because cakes are a group activity that also require some manual labor (cutting and distributing) that is totally not going to fly with your average trendsetting Angeleno, who will need a low-maintenance snack that can be enjoyed in any of several varied social scenarios and will serve a rainbow of individual tastes. "Cake" means "occasion" and many young hipsters are just too busy being hyper-cool and having good times to have any times for "occasions." I think cakes will maintain a steady level of popularity.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way, shape, or form "cool" or "trendsetting," so my opinions have very little value in this regard.

Comments

KT said…
Wow, a donut cake sounds FANTASTIC.

I would be really shocked if Grandpa had a secret recipe for anything (other than gunpowder).
KT said…
Oui, oui! C'est une bonne idee!

Especially if they serve chicory coffee, too.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Colleen Cuisine said…
I thought Donuts were the trend before cupcakes? (I'm thinking of the Krispy Kreme resurgence from the early 2000's, and the Grace/Lucques/AOC/Sona gourmet doughnut era, etc.)

Hmm... what else could we latch onto?
I remember this place in New York that was the 31 flavours of rice pudding. I don't think enough people like rice pudding though.

Maybe gourmet cereal? Smores?
KT said…
Oh yeah, I forgot about Krispy Kremes. But I was thinking more of "gourmet"donuts in unusual flavors, etc. that you would buy in a shop, as opposed to eating at an expensive restaurant. But you're right ... it's not really brand new.

But cereal could be good ... I also remember seeing something on TV once about some ex-lawyers that opened a gourmet PB&J place, with all different varieties of peanut butter sandwiches. But that doesn't seem healthy enough, or unhealthy enough!
Well, I have heard that Americans are back to eating breakfast (when did we stop?) The fast food joints are in a race with each other to ramp up their breakfast offerings and even serve some of them 24 hrs a day. Cereal bars popped up (although I've not heard of one in L.A.).

Maybe you should create a savory doughnut that's filled with your choice of "scramble" (ham, cheese, bacon, etc.)EEeewwww--I just grossed myself out!!!
KT said…
Hee! Kind of like a donut Monte Cristo.

Blech.

Sadly, there are people out there who would totally eat a donut, bacon and egg sandwich. With cheese.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta