Skip to main content

RECIPE: Moroccan Bread


I have posted before about the fact that I am maybe ... not so good at the fine art of baking. I can make several different kinds of cookies. That's about as far as I can get. I tried meringues, they collapsed. I tried foccacia, the result being a freakish hybrid bread-cracker-thing. The baking thing just seriously eludes me.

But I am not a quitter. And though I won't be making any souffles or layer cakes or eclairs or what-have-you in the near future. I do continue to strive for certain more rustic baking accomplishments, because I figure if a peasant with no money and no stuff can manage to make a loaf of bread, then I with my modern kitchen accoutrements should be able to figure out at least this basic skill.

So for my latest attempt, I picked something rustic and hearty and not in the least bit fancy. I also watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen and studied closely as Bridget made some buns so I could learn how to knead and otherwise handle bread dough without (a) getting most of it stuck to my hands and other kitchen parts; or (b) having to use too much flour to avoid scenario (a). I learned how to kind of slap the dough around (now we're talking!) and I learned that I really need one of those dough scrapers, but I don't have one, so I had to make do with slapping around.

I chose a Moroccan bread because it seemed fairly simple and rustic and a little exotic too. I also know that I like North African flavors and well, I've always wanted to go to the North African countries and probably won't go in this lifetime unless political climates drastically change. So the least I can do is eat some of their bread.

The bread came out smashingly and I was super-proud of myself. I was afraid I would be eating two whole loaves of bread by myself, since there was aniseed in it and J. is not an anise-fan. But toasted, with butter, the bread tasted a lot like a rye bread and was not very licorice-y, so we were all able to enjoy some Moroccan bread. This bread is a dense, but soft bread that's best just on it's own with butter, as an accompaniment to a meal.

One thing - I would remove the excess cornmeal from the baking sheet before popping it in the oven, as on mine, the extra cornmeal started to burn and I had to take it out mid-bake and pour the extra in the trash.


RECIPE (Makes 2 loaves):

Source: Bon Appetit, September 2006
  • ¾ cup warm (105-115 F) water, divided
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast , (measured from two 1/4 oz. envelopes)
  • ½ cup lukewarm (100-105 F) whole milk
  • 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 4 teaspoons aniseed
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • olive oil
  • yellow cornmeal

Pour 1/4 cup warm water into a small bowl. Mix in sugar; sprinkle yeast over. Let stand until yeast dissolves and bubbles, about 15 minutes. Mix in milk. Stir both flours, sesame seeds, aniseed, and salt in a large bowl. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Pour in yeast mixture. Stir with fork until dough comes together, adding more warm water by tablespoonfuls if dry. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead until smooth (dough will be dense), about 10 minutes.

Brush large rimmed baking sheet with oil; dust with cornmeal. Divide dough in half. Shape each piece into 4-inch diameter round, about 2 inches high. Place rounds at opposite ends of the baking sheet; brush rounds with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and towel. Let rise in warm, draft-free area until puffed and almost doubled in volume, about 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pierce dough rounds in several places with fork; place in oven and bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake until loaves are light gold in color and sound hollow when tapped on bottom, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer loaves to rack and cool.

Tags: ,

Comments

Unknown said…
Next on the to bake list?
5 tier wedding cake... right?
KT said…
Ermmm ... no. Unless you mean, for YOU to bake for me. Then yes, definitely!

I think I'm going to stick with bread. I think I will become the new Nancy Silverton now that she's all restauranting it up with Mario Batali and stuff.
Me thinks that you are too modest. Those loaves look like they were just delivered from the La Brea Bakery's ovens! Congrats!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...BOO! Happy Halloween! :)
KT said…
AAH! You scared me ...

And ... aw, thanks. That's the kind of cool thing about making rustic breads, is that it's okay if they LOOK rustic, and then you can call them "artisan breads."

I'm definitely excited about the bread thing and will make more in the future.
Chubbypanda said…
Excellent. Welcome to the Bread-baking Brotherhood. Why is it a "brotherhood"? 'Cause I'm not secure about my masculinity. But, can you blame me? If one more person tells me what a great 50's housewife I would have made...

I like aprons, though. Especially ones with big pockets and kitties on the front. Dammit mom, what the hell did you do to my brain?

- Chubbypanda
Chef Jeena said…
You have Great blog from Jeena :)


visit jeena's kitchen healthy recipe blog
Just made khobz bread looks and smells like the real thing...now to taste it. Also made harira soup also traditional except for the fat they use in Morocco. Thankyou for the recipe

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

RECIPE: Serious Eats' Foolproof Pan Pizza

It was love at first sight ... the second I saw J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Foolproof Pan Pizza recipe ,I was twitterpated. I was definitely going to try to make this and see if it was really proof against this fool. Overall, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but when it comes to trying out new recipes, usually if there's a way I can totally mess it up, I will. Even if I get the actual process right, chances are I'll do something like try to check if the bottom's cooked while the pie is still in the pan and dump the pie all over the kitchen. :( (True story). Well, happy to say Mr. L-A has done it again. You could do worse than compile all his recipes and just use them as your cookbook. He takes a thorough and scientific approach to cooking but also has a way of translating it all for the casual home cook. The recipe was seriously easy - there is a lot of waiting time but very little active effort to expend. It's pretty much just mix the dough, let it rise, mak

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a