Gastronomy 101, a blog about food and Los Angeles restaurants

DETOX: Days 3-6

How green was my dinner plate ...

I just got through my first weekend on detox and let me tell you, it was no picnic. Now I remember one of the reasons I picked final exam time to do my detoxes during law school--because I never went out or did anything, hence no temptations to suffer through.

But I managed to somehow make it through a Saturday night at El Coyote without drinking any alcohol or eating anything I'm not supposed to. Can you believe I sat there and just drank water while people in my vicinity were having margaritas? Margaritas! I love margaritas.

Before that, I sat and drank tea while everyone had lovely looking sandwiches. Sandwiches are my favorite. But the sandwiches will still be there when I am done with detox.

Right now my schedule is: wake up with hot water/lemon juice/cayenne and then a glass of tea, fruit for breakfast, chicken/fish/tofu + salad/vegetables for lunch, optional glass of soy or almond milk for a snack, and vegetables plus salad for dinner.

These pictures are of my dinner last night, by way of example of what kind of things I'm eating now. It's green beans sauteed with ginger and tossed with lemon zest and salt, and a mixed greens salad with dried blueberries and almonds tossed with lemon juice and a little olive oil and salt and pepper.


The first week is almost over and I'm happy to report I haven't hit the agony zone yet. And the superficial water weight is shedding like crazy, so that's always fun. Suddenly the scale is my friend!

I am 1/3 of the way through. Upcoming hurdles include Thanksgiving (no rolls! or wine! agh!) and the long weekend. Also more zen-ification of my allowed diet.

7 comments:

You are a brave woman. Personally I prolly would have used bacon grease as dressing for all that.

said by Garrett at 10:47 AM Delete

*sigh* It's tempting, believe me. Just as the fresh piece of bread placed on my table at lunch yesterday was tempting.

I did saute my beans in butter. I am allowed butter in moderation and I just HAD to. Plus it smelled sooo good. It smelled like fulfillment.

said by KT at 10:50 AM Delete

The scale is never my friend. It abuses me constantly, then lies to try to get me to come back to it. =b

- Chubbypanda

said by Chubbypanda at 3:08 PM Delete

It's a vicious cycle! I suppose it buys you flowers too, and when you step on it, it says "This hurts me more than it hurts you."

said by KT at 3:11 PM Delete

To resist the sirens' call of the whirling margarita blender, to turn away from its icy chill, to reject the its tart sweetness and stay the course, you are a far better woman than I will ever be. I lift my glass of sparkling cranberry cider and toast in your honor. Well done!

said by La Vida Dulce at 1:54 PM Delete

Dear KT--You will indeed be a shimmering vision of beauty and glistening health on New Years! Alas, as the big ball drops I'll be cursing myself for the upcoming weeks of torture to rid myself of the excess champagne and chocolate fudge pounds that sneak up on me this time of year. Keep up the good work. In the meantime I promise not to post about the glories of margaritas at El Coyote...at least not until January. :)

said by Acme Instant Food at 10:14 AM Delete

Knowing me, the short time between the end of my diet and the new year will be long enough for me to do damage sufficient to require another diet again in January.

Whether I will actually do it or not is another question.

said by Anonymous at 2:04 PM Delete

Creative Commons license The content on Gastronomy 101 may be reproduced under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License.